POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : decreasing mesh memory usage. : Re: decreasing mesh memory usage. Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:27:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: decreasing mesh memory usage.
From: Shay
Date: 28 Oct 2003 15:31:33
Message: <3f9ed225@news.povray.org>
"Gilles Tran" <tra### [at] inapginrafr> wrote in message

| scenes that takes several minutes to parse limit your own
| development time.

I have an advantage here in that I already know the shape of what I am
developing, so adjustments in that area will not be required. I am
writing my code to produce dummies at the same time it produces a
high-resolution mesh, so this will help me a lot when it comes to
texturing and positioning the scene.

| - some meshes (typically man-made objects rather than
| organic ones) can benefit from symmetry and repetition.

Yes, I am fortunate in that my model has a lot of symmetry and
repitition. It does, however, also have an incredible amount of distinct
pieces.

| - Modellers can also help you to reduce the poly count.

Well, I'd use a modeler if I could, but I can't stand losing control
over each and every one of my vertices. I am writing new code which is
very stingy with vertices, so I doubt that anything could be reduced
anyway.

| - render in several passes.

After the disappointing results of my tests, I think that this will be
the best way to go. A real advantage of this method is that it will be
simple after my render is complete to assemble a full-resolution mesh
with no compromises. I may not be able to render it, but at least I'll
have the complete model.

Thank you,
 -Shay