POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : decreasing mesh memory usage. : Re: decreasing mesh memory usage. Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:27:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: decreasing mesh memory usage.
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 28 Oct 2003 12:32:02
Message: <rgl271-4c1.ln1@triton.imagico.de>
Shay wrote:
> I'm trying to create as large a mesh as possible with my available
> memory. I have questions about what may help.
>
> I know that making copies of a mesh will help. Will it also help to
> separate meshes by texture, giving each mesh a single texture rather
> than using texture lists and indices?
>
> I'm pretty sure that this should help, but I'd like to make sure anyway.
> I need the back faces of my objects to be present for shadowing, but I
> assume that making the back faces out of all flat triangles will also
> save some memory.

Why not try it out?

> Basically, what I'm not sure about is whether POV-Ray stores all of this
> information whether it is defined or not. Does POV-Ray have a dummy
> uv-vector, normal-vector, etc. stored for each vertex?

You have to bear in mind that you can't at the same time maximize speed
and minimize memory use.  For example you can save quite some memory by
not generating a bounding tree for example ('hierarchy off') but it will
become very slow.

Christoph

Last updated 25 Oct. 2003 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______