POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Fractal noise Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:13:59 EDT (-0400)
  Fractal noise (Message 1 to 10 of 13)
From: Andrew Coppin
Subject: Fractal noise
Date: 10 May 2003 06:41:05
Message: <3ebcd741$1@news.povray.org>
Hi folks.

OK, maybe not totally POV-related, but... I'm curiose to know how POV-Ray's
"random" textures work. Textures like bozo...

If you pick two distant points in space, the value at each of those points
is random. And yet, if you pick to near-by points, you get similar values.
I'm curiose to know how on earth they managed to do that...

I can't think of a single way you could use a traditional PRNG to create a
3D texture like this without building the entire texture in memory and
referring to it. But that would require a stupid amount of RAM. But if you
were to try to compute the function at individual points, surely you'd have
great difficulty with seeding issues...

The documentation says these functions are fractal noise. Well, I know about
fractals, but I know nothing about fractal noise functions. (Last time I
read such a book - when I was 17, I believe - the statistics was WAY over my
head!) Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks.
Andrew.

Post a reply to this message

> OK, maybe not totally POV-related, but... I'm curiose to know how POV-Ray's
> "random" textures work. Textures like bozo...
>
> [...]

A fairly good introduction can be found on:

http://freespace.virgin.net/hugo.elias/models/m_perlin.htm

Christoph