POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Fractal noise : Re: Fractal noise Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:23:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fractal noise
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 12 May 2003 12:13:55
Message: <cjameshuff-1A40E6.12140512052003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3ebf872c@news.povray.org>, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>
wrote:

>   No, the word "fractal" does not imply self-similarity. The origin of
> the word is related to mathematical calculations of the dimensions of
> a fractal shape, which is fractional in a mathematical sense.

Actually, it has nothing to do with that. The words "fractal" and
"fraction" have a common root, but "fractal" is more closely related to
"fractured" and "fragment". Mandelbrot coined the word "fractal" from
the Latin "fractus", which means rough, irregular, or broken, and it
does refer to the self-similarity aspect: if you were to break a fractal
into pieces ("fracts"?), each fragment would appear similar to the
others.

Here's a quote from Mandelbrot himself: "I coined fractal from the Latin
adjective fractus. The corresponding Latin verb fragere means 'to
break': to create irregular fragments...how appropriate for our needs!"

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/