POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Radiosity problem when using conventional lightning Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:30:49 EDT (-0400)
  Radiosity problem when using conventional lightning (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Matti Karnaattu
Subject: Radiosity problem when using conventional lightning
Date: 16 Apr 2003 08:30:07
Message: <web.3e9d4bd669337fd4bef0bd7d0@news.povray.org>
It is necessary to set light source object ambient to high to get realistic
highlights to shiny surfaces. Problem is that I can't remove ambient object
from radiosity calculations. This causes ugly errors in lightning because
there is a ambient light source in scene. I tried to use "no_image" object
modifier and put visible light source under light source "looks_like"
statement.

How can I remove light_source object from radiosity calculations? Is there
any way cheat Pov-Ray radiosity algorithm? Like putting some invisible
object around ligh source object so radiosity algorithm take samples from
object surrounding light_source?

Matti

Post a reply to this message

> How can I remove light_source object from radiosity calculations? Is
> there any way cheat Pov-Ray radiosity algorithm? Like putting some
> invisible object around ligh source object so radiosity algorithm take
> samples from object surrounding light_source?

  I use a transparent object with a very bright emission media, but it
only works if you keep "media off" on radiosity block (I never use media
interacting with radiosity).

--
Jaime Vives Piqueres

La Persistencia de la Ignorancia
http://www.ignorancia.org

Post a reply to this message

> How can I remove light_source object from radiosity calculations?

  I don't really understand why it's more preferable to use a bright
object as a light source for radiosity than using a light_source.
  From my experience, using a light_source gives better lighting faster
(no need for extreme radiosity settings).