POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Radiosity problem when using conventional lightning : Re: Radiosity problem when using conventional lightning Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:31:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity problem when using conventional lightning
From: Greg Edwards
Date: 1 Jun 2003 15:39:08
Message: <1doan9c7mvfze.8cvqfi6encyn.dlg@40tude.net>
On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 08:25:58 EDT, Matti Karnaattu wrote:

> It is necessary to set light source object ambient to high to get realistic
> highlights to shiny surfaces. Problem is that I can't remove ambient object
> from radiosity calculations. This causes ugly errors in lightning because
> there is a ambient light source in scene. I tried to use "no_image" object
> modifier and put visible light source under light source "looks_like"
> statement.
>
> How can I remove light_source object from radiosity calculations? Is there
> any way cheat Pov-Ray radiosity algorithm? Like putting some invisible
> object around ligh source object so radiosity algorithm take samples from
> object surrounding light_source?
>
> Matti

I understand your problem and that is EXACTLY why I made a patch to fix it.
My patch adds a no_radiosity keyword that works like no_image or no_shadow
only it removes the object from radiosity calculations even when calculated
through mirrors. I hate to keep people waiting so long but progress has
been standing still for the past several months. I've got a lot of fixing
to do and not much time to do it in.

Anyway, back on track, if you give your bright ambient object no_shadow and
no_image, it will stop most radiosity calculations from interfering with
your lighting. If you want to see the object itself, look at the entire
scene through a mirror (I usually coupled the ambient object trick with my
poor mirrorflare include).

--
light_source#macro G(E)sphere{z+E*y*5e-3.04rotate-z*E*6pigment{rgbt#end{
20*y-10#local n=162;1}#while(n)#local n=n-.3;G(n)x}}G(-n).7}}#end//GregE