POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Palm trees from primatives Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:30:40 EDT (-0400)
  Palm trees from primatives (Message 11 to 20 of 23)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 3 Messages >>>
From: bob h
Subject: Re: Palm trees from primatives
Date: 8 Feb 2002 22:08:43
Message: <3c6492bb@news.povray.org>
"Wanderer On The Road" <non### [at] fakeaddresscom> wrote in message

> Interesting. I've tried to do some stuff with #while and failed. Before
and
> I'm interestid in this spline() function in 3.5 I'm assuming that it's
> documented. Any good tutorials for that sort of thing? Oh and if it makes
> any difference this will be appear in a painting with in the scene.

You are going to model something that will be 2D?  Or were you going to use
a ready-made photo?  If the latter, image_map is all you'd need.

Yes, in the beta of 3.5 and MegaPOV, both have splines.  It isn't very
difficult to use at all.  Just a list of points (vectors) with a time value
attached to each, then when you run a variable through it via clock or loop
it increments according to that.  Interpolating a series of vectors called
by MySpline(Time) for example which in reality is <1,2,3> format as
recognized by the keyword you apply it with, i.e. translate MySpline(Move)
[those words being whatever you declare them to be, of course].  Move would
be the clock or loop variable.

See section 6.1.9 of the v3.5 docs.
I thought that was available online separately but I fail to find it now.

Check out the creators (I think he is anyway) tutorial on it:
http://pandora.inf.uni-jena.de/p/e/noo/povsp/use.html

bob h

Post a reply to this message

"bob h" <omn### [at] charternet> wrote in message
> "Wanderer On The Road" <non### [at] fakeaddresscom> wrote in message
> >
> > Interesting. I've tried to do some stuff with #while and failed. Before
> and
> > I'm interestid in this spline() function in 3.5 I'm assuming that it's
> > documented. Any good tutorials for that sort of thing? Oh and if it
makes
> > any difference this will be appear in a painting with in the scene.
>
> You are going to model something that will be 2D?  Or were you going to
use
> a ready-made photo?  If the latter, image_map is all you'd need.

Modeling something that will be 2D-ish. See my plan is to make a scene that
will then be image_mapped on to an object (in this case a painter's canvas).

> Yes, in the beta of 3.5 and MegaPOV, both have splines.  It isn't very
> difficult to use at all.  Just a list of points (vectors) with a time
value
> attached to each, then when you run a variable through it via clock or
loop
> it increments according to that.  Interpolating a series of vectors called
> by MySpline(Time) for example which in reality is <1,2,3> format as
> recognized by the keyword you apply it with, i.e. translate MySpline(Move)
> [those words being whatever you declare them to be, of course].  Move
would
> be the clock or loop variable.

hrm.... Any good tutorials on how to use #while?

> See section 6.1.9 of the v3.5 docs.
> I thought that was available online separately but I fail to find it now.

Thanks. I'll look into it.

> Check out the creators (I think he is anyway) tutorial on it:
> http://pandora.inf.uni-jena.de/p/e/noo/povsp/use.html

Much thanks.

--
Wanderer On The Road
     Many religions are the story of man trying to reach out to God

Post a reply to this message

> Modeling something that will be 2D-ish. See my plan is to make a scene
that
> will then be image_mapped on to an object (in this case a painter's
canvas).

> hrm.... Any good tutorials on how to use #while?

http://www.students.tut.fi/~warp/povVFAQ/whileloops.html

That should do nicely if you can be a little technical about it, since Warp
can often be I know :-)

Yeah, the render within a render can be pretty neat, as many online
galleries can attest to.

bob h

Post a reply to this message

> hrm.... Any good tutorials on how to use #while?

There is a good basic introduction to loops at this site in the povabilities
section - http://www.spake.org/rtimes/

--
Ken Tyler

Post a reply to this message

> "Wanderer On The Road" <non### [at] fakeaddresscom> wrote in message
> >
> > Modeling something that will be 2D-ish. See my plan is to make a scene
> that
> > will then be image_mapped on to an object (in this case a painter's
> canvas).
> >
> > hrm.... Any good tutorials on how to use #while?
>
> http://www.students.tut.fi/~warp/povVFAQ/whileloops.html
>
> That should do nicely if you can be a little technical about it, since
Warp
> can often be I know :-)

Well since I'm often accused (usualy correctly) of thinking too much I bet I
can figure it out ^_~

> Yeah, the render within a render can be pretty neat, as many online
> galleries can attest to.

Yes, though is there anything I can do to the painting scene that will make
it look slightly unfinished with out resorting to post trace effects in like
the gimp?