POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Palm trees from primatives : Re: Palm trees from primatives Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:27:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Palm trees from primatives
From: Wanderer On The Road
Date: 16 Feb 2002 17:02:44
Message: <3c6ed704@news.povray.org>
"bob h" <omn### [at] charternet> wrote in message
> "Wanderer On The Road" <non### [at] fakeaddresscom> wrote in message
> >
> > "bob h" <omn### [at] charternet> wrote in message
> >
> > > Yeah, the render within a render can be pretty neat, as many online
> > > galleries can attest to.
> >
> > Yes, though is there anything I can do to the painting scene that will
> make
> > it look slightly unfinished with out resorting to post trace effects in
> like
> > the gimp?
>
> Any number of things are possible I suppose.  One thing that comes to mind
> is material_map to take the rendered image and make incomplete parts to
it,
> hence unfinished.  Likewise by using a patterned layered texture with
> image_map(s) as the main pigment.
> Getting a oil painting look to it wouldn't be difficult, making different
> brush stroke effects for each color region.  Kind of an in-POV Photoshop
> filter effects just by applying various normals and finishes for those
color
> regions.

Ok I'll look into that after I choose a palm leaf method. Did OE nuke the
thread or did the server? I can't seem to find the beginning few posts
anymore.

> Take a look at this simplified form of that:
[snip]
>         png "materialmap.png" // 256 color bitmap (of your rendering)
[snip]
> To get better resolution of colors and textures into your image you'll
need
> to increase the number of entries.

Is that's what is limiting the material map to 8bit color as opposed to 24
or 32 bit?

--
Wanderer On The Road
     Many religions are the story of man trying to reach out to God