POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Photons and Normals Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:29:52 EDT (-0400)
  Photons and Normals (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Lutz-Peter Hooge
Subject: Photons and Normals
Date: 27 Oct 2001 12:56:53
Message: <MPG.1645065181f49d3b9896a5@news.povray.org>
Hi everybody,

I have the problem that photons are nearly invisible on surfaces with
normals. It may be a bug, maybe it is realistic, but it is very annoying,
because surfaces without normals usually don't look good (unless they are
Isos with much "true" detail, but I didn't test yet if those work better
with photons).

Does anybody know a way around this problem? (an bright, small spotlight
aimed at the reflecting/refracting object might do the trick in some
cases, but it has the disadvantage that every additional lightsource
slows down glass-like objects significantly)

Lutz-Peter

Post a reply to this message

> I have the problem that photons are nearly invisible on surfaces with
> normals. It may be a bug, maybe it is realistic, but it is very annoying,
> because surfaces without normals usually don't look good (unless they are
> Isos with much "true" detail, but I didn't test yet if those work better
> with photons).

I experienced the same, see for example the balcony demo scene in Povray
3.5.  If you remove the normal of the cloth, the caustics on the table are
much stronger.

I'm not sure if this should be considered as a bug, a test with normals
and heightfield/isosurface alternative would clarify things.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>

> > I have the problem that photons are nearly invisible on surfaces with
> > normals. It may be a bug, maybe it is realistic, but it is very annoying,
> > because surfaces without normals usually don't look good (unless they are
> > Isos with much "true" detail, but I didn't test yet if those work better
> > with photons).
> >

> I experienced the same, see for example the balcony demo scene in Povray
> 3.5.  If you remove the normal of the cloth, the caustics on the table are
> much stronger.
>
> I'm not sure if this should be considered as a bug, a test with normals
> and heightfield/isosurface alternative would clarify things.

I wouldn't necessarily classify this as a bug. It is more a limitation
with the implementation of the normal perturbation method that POV-Ray
uses.

--
Ken Tyler

Post a reply to this message