POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Photons and Normals : Re: Photons and Normals Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:19:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Photons and Normals
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 27 Oct 2001 13:16:35
Message: <3BDAEBED.CA07490B@gmx.de>
Lutz-Peter Hooge wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I have the problem that photons are nearly invisible on surfaces with
> normals. It may be a bug, maybe it is realistic, but it is very annoying,
> because surfaces without normals usually don't look good (unless they are
> Isos with much "true" detail, but I didn't test yet if those work better
> with photons).

I experienced the same, see for example the balcony demo scene in Povray
3.5.  If you remove the normal of the cloth, the caustics on the table are
much stronger.

I'm not sure if this should be considered as a bug, a test with normals
and heightfield/isosurface alternative would clarify things.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>