POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : contour mapping Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:21:35 EDT (-0400)
  contour mapping (Message 1 to 10 of 13)
From: Paul Jones
Subject: contour mapping
Date: 5 Dec 2000 08:28:38
Message: <3A2CEC7C.83FC2739@psu.edu>
Anybody have any ideas on how I could make a contour map of a height
field?  I tried trace() and dropping a sphere at a point if it had a
specific Y value, drop enough spheres and test for different heights and
you statrt to get something which is OK, but it take half-past forever.
Any other ideas? maybe a sphere sweep of some kind ??

-paul

--------------------------------------------------}
Paul Daniel Jones
The Pennslyvania State University

pdj### [at] psuedu
http://research.chem.psu.edu/glassgrp/paul

       C            The way is near, but men
     // \           seek it afar. It is in the
    N    N          easy things, but men seek it
    |    ||         in the difficult things.
    C    C          -Menicius
     \\  /
--------------------------------------------------}

Post a reply to this message

> Anybody have any ideas on how I could make a contour map of a height
> field?  I tried trace() and dropping a sphere at a point if it had a
> specific Y value, drop enough spheres and test for different heights and
> you statrt to get something which is OK, but it take half-past forever.
> Any other ideas? maybe a sphere sweep of some kind ??

What about the water-level ?
(multiple instance of the height field, each with a different water level,
and a pigment/color map which would be Clear, except around the water level,
with a vertical Gradient)

Or even just a very detailled pigment/color map with a vertical Gradient
applied to just one heightfield.
Using an orthographic camera should also help (direction -y)

Post a reply to this message

> Anybody have any ideas on how I could make a contour map of a height
> field?  I tried trace() and dropping a sphere at a point if it had a
> specific Y value, drop enough spheres and test for different heights and
> you statrt to get something which is OK, but it take half-past forever.
> Any other ideas? maybe a sphere sweep of some kind ??
>
> -paul

I'm not totally sure what you want to do, but as i understand it, you want
that contour lines only in povray.

How about just using a partly transparent gradient y texture on the HF.

If that's not a good solution, it would help a lot if you would say what
you want to use these lines for.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>