POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : contour mapping : Re: contour mapping Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:24:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: contour mapping
From: Jérôme Grimbert
Date: 5 Dec 2000 09:24:50
Message: <3A2CFAB8.73097DD2@atos-group.com>
Paul Jones wrote:

> Anybody have any ideas on how I could make a contour map of a height
> field?  I tried trace() and dropping a sphere at a point if it had a
> specific Y value, drop enough spheres and test for different heights and
> you statrt to get something which is OK, but it take half-past forever.
> Any other ideas? maybe a sphere sweep of some kind ??

What about the water-level ?
(multiple instance of the height field, each with a different water level,
and a pigment/color map which would be Clear, except around the water level,
with a vertical Gradient)

Or even just a very detailled pigment/color map with a vertical Gradient
applied to just one heightfield.
Using an orthographic camera should also help (direction -y)