POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : HF Erosion Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:21:08 EDT (-0400)
  HF Erosion (Message 1 to 10 of 30)
From: Yann Ramin
Subject: HF Erosion
Date: 20 Jul 2000 17:57:57
Message: <397775FA.77226B37@atrustrivalie.eu.org>
I'm trying to freshen up my heightfields to make them a bit more like
terrain.  I've seen examples where various packages used erosion to make
more realistic terrain.  I (obiously) know what erosion is, how it
works, but HOW THE HECK do you model it mathematicly????  I'm a bit lost
there [smile].

If anyone could provide some pseduo code with what it requires, it would
be greatly appcreciated.  I'm am not looking for a POV example, as this
won't be written into POV, but into an external C program.  I have also
tried looking at HF-Lab and can't figure out what makes its erosion
engine tick.

Yann

Yann Ramin			atr### [at] atrustrivalieeuorg
Atrus Trivalie Productions	www.redshift.com/~yramin
Monterey High IT		www.montereyhigh.com
ICQ 				46805627
AIM				oddatrus
Marina, CA

IRM Developer                   Network Toaster Developer
SNTS Developer                  KLevel Developer

(yes, this .signature is way too big)

"All cats die.  Socrates is dead.  Therefore Socrates is a cat."
	- The Logician

		THE STORY OF CREATION

In the beginning there was data.  The data was without form and null,
and darkness was upon the face of the console; and the Spirit of IBM
was moving over the face of the market.  And DEC said, "Let there be
registers"; and there were registers.  And DEC saw that they carried;
and DEC seperated the data from the instructions.  DEC called the data
Stack, and the instructions they called Code.  And there was evening
and there was a maorning, one interrupt...
		-- Rico Tudor

William Safire's Rules for Writers:

Remembe

Post a reply to this message

> I'm trying to freshen up my heightfields to make them a bit more like
> terrain.  I've seen examples where various packages used erosion to make
> more realistic terrain.  I (obiously) know what erosion is, how it
> works, but HOW THE HECK do you model it mathematicly????  I'm a bit lost
> there [smile].
>
> If anyone could provide some pseduo code with what it requires, it would
> be greatly appcreciated.  I'm am not looking for a POV example, as this
> won't be written into POV, but into an external C program.  I have also
> tried looking at HF-Lab and can't figure out what makes its erosion
> engine tick.

There are some POV examples in these groups from a couple of weeks to a
month back but I can't remember which group/s.

I suppose you would follow the path of a water droplet falling
vertically/other from the sky and taking some soil with it - allowing for
deposition & erosion.
You might try e-mailing the author of  HF-Lab & other HF programs that have
this feature to ask the algorithm.

--
Bye
Pabs

Post a reply to this message

> You might try e-mailing the author of  HF-Lab & other HF programs that have
> this feature to ask the algorithm.

I have talked with John Beale in the past and found him talkative and
willing to share info where possible.

> I'm trying to freshen up my heightfields to make them a bit more like
> terrain.  I've seen examples where various packages used erosion to make
> more realistic terrain.  I (obiously) know what erosion is, how it
> works, but HOW THE HECK do you model it mathematicly????  I'm a bit lost
> there [smile].
>
> If anyone could provide some pseduo code with what it requires, it would
> be greatly appcreciated.  I'm am not looking for a POV example, as this
> won't be written into POV, but into an external C program.  I have also
> tried looking at HF-Lab and can't figure out what makes its erosion
> engine tick.

I never understood John Beale's code totally, but I think it calculates an
array, where the valuses are equivalent to the uphill area at this point, which
is related to the amount of water flowing there.  Usually you are substracting
this array from your terrain.

All this calculates pure water erosion.  To create realistic effects, it
requires much smoothing to simulate the flattening of the structures created by
the water over the time.

Maybe you want to check the samples i made for a fast thermal erosion code.  One
I posted in p.b.i some time ago.  Some more including a sort avi film are on my
pages:

http://www.schunter.etc.tu-bs.de/~chris/erosion1.html

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>

> Maybe you want to check the samples i made for a fast thermal erosion code.  One
> I posted in p.b.i some time ago.  Some more including a sort avi film are on my
> pages:
>
> http://www.schunter.etc.tu-bs.de/~chris/erosion1.html

Does your method simulate deposition of the eroded material?
-From the avi it does look like it does
--
Bye
Pabs