POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : HF Erosion : Re: HF Erosion Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:23:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: HF Erosion
From: Pabs
Date: 20 Jul 2000 23:32:03
Message: <3977C383.423E1173@hotmail.com>
Yann Ramin wrote:

> I'm trying to freshen up my heightfields to make them a bit more like
> terrain.  I've seen examples where various packages used erosion to make
> more realistic terrain.  I (obiously) know what erosion is, how it
> works, but HOW THE HECK do you model it mathematicly????  I'm a bit lost
> there [smile].
>
> If anyone could provide some pseduo code with what it requires, it would
> be greatly appcreciated.  I'm am not looking for a POV example, as this
> won't be written into POV, but into an external C program.  I have also
> tried looking at HF-Lab and can't figure out what makes its erosion
> engine tick.

There are some POV examples in these groups from a couple of weeks to a
month back but I can't remember which group/s.

I suppose you would follow the path of a water droplet falling
vertically/other from the sky and taking some soil with it - allowing for
deposition & erosion.
You might try e-mailing the author of  HF-Lab & other HF programs that have
this feature to ask the algorithm.

--
Bye
Pabs