POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : HF Erosion Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:24:36 EDT (-0400)
  HF Erosion (Message 21 to 30 of 30)
From: Christoph Hormann
Subject: Re: HF Erosion
Date: 25 Jul 2000 13:55:21
Message: <397DD493.909A1DC0@schunter.etc.tu-bs.de>
Chris Huff wrote:

[...]
> *Lots* of ram...since a 3df file is simply 256-bit grayscale, you would
> need separate 3df files to specify those other variables. And to get a
> large landscape, you would need a fairly high-res landscape file(the
> others, like erodability maps, could be much lower resolution).
> A 256*64*256 file would equal 4MB...3df doesn't have any compression.
> And 512*128*512 would be 32MB. Good thing interpolation is available. :-)

All that is not really effective, because you have to carry the whole "air"
around that is never used.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>

From: Chris Huff
Date: 25 Jul 2000 13:56:16
Message: <chrishuff-88BBFA.12565725072000@news.povray.org>
In article <8F7CC6C2Fseed7@204.213.191.228>, ing### [at] homenl (ingo)
wrote:

> Could you "abuse" animated png's (mng) for that?

You could...but the file size would probably be bigger than it needs to
be, unless mng supports 256-shade grayscale. And how does it handle the
compression? Are frames compressed individually and stacked together, or
does the compression use info from previous and following frames?

> Also you can stuff more than one image in a single tga (rl encoded) or
> tiff file.

I know about these "stacks", but I don't think the compression is as
efficient as it could be.

It might be better to have a custom format which can handle no
compression, lossless compression, lossy compression(like MPEG), 8-bit
grayscale and 24-bit color. Maybe we could call it 3df. :-)
Or maybe you could just support several animation formats, including MNG
and MPEG.

TAG Web page: http://tag.povray.org/

Post a reply to this message

> since a 3df file is simply 256-bit grayscale...

I meant 256-shade grayscale, of course. As in 8-bit grayscale. :-)