POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : HF Erosion : Re: HF Erosion Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:27:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: HF Erosion
From: Chris Huff
Date: 25 Jul 2000 13:56:16
Message: <chrishuff-88BBFA.12565725072000@news.povray.org>
In article <8F7CC6C2Fseed7@204.213.191.228>, ing### [at] homenl (ingo)
wrote:

> Could you "abuse" animated png's (mng) for that?

You could...but the file size would probably be bigger than it needs to
be, unless mng supports 256-shade grayscale. And how does it handle the
compression? Are frames compressed individually and stacked together, or
does the compression use info from previous and following frames?

> Also you can stuff more than one image in a single tga (rl encoded) or
> tiff file.

I know about these "stacks", but I don't think the compression is as
efficient as it could be.

It might be better to have a custom format which can handle no
compression, lossless compression, lossy compression(like MPEG), 8-bit
grayscale and 24-bit color. Maybe we could call it 3df. :-)
Or maybe you could just support several animation formats, including MNG
and MPEG.

TAG Web page: http://tag.povray.org/