POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : HF Erosion : Re: HF Erosion Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:30:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: HF Erosion
From: Chris Huff
Date: 26 Jul 2000 14:17:32
Message: <chrishuff-3A37BE.13181426072000@news.povray.org>
In article <397EF8DB.340374FD@my-dejanews.com>,
gre### [at] my-dejanewscom wrote:

> My (perhaps self-limiting) philosophy is:  why use a paint program
> when you can use a vector one, why use a vector program when you can
> do 3d, why use a heightfield when you can use an isosurface.  The
> work need not be re-created from scratch if another point of view or
> higher resolution is required.

Mostly I agree, and df3's are even less useful with the blob pattern
available(though sometimes considerably more compact). However, they do
have certain uses, such as the ability to edit specific voxels,
possibilities for external modellers, being a useful format for certain
kinds of data that can't easily be converted to a "vector" format(like
certain volumetric data, MRI scans, etc), the ability to apply filters
to the data, etc.

TAG Web page: http://tag.povray.org/