POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : image formats.... Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:18:48 EDT (-0400)
  image formats.... (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Paul Jones
Subject: image formats....
Date: 15 May 2000 08:02:49
Message: <391FE735.270BC29E@psu.edu>
Hey,

this is not a pov question, but you guys here (D.F. C.H. P.P. et al. )
are very reliable in your graphics knowledge so I figured I would ask
:-)

I am scanning in a lot of newspaper articles and need to find a good
format to store them in for others to view off of a CD-Rom. Currently
the uncompressed images are about 6Mb each (at 200 dpi scanning) which
is way too large. Any thogthts about the advantages or disadvantages of
JPEG or TIFF or PNG?

thanks a lot  again, sorry this is a non-pov msg in a pov group :-)

-paul
--

--------------------------------------------------}
Paul Daniel Jones

pdj### [at] psuedu
http://research.chem.psu.edu/glassgrp/paul

       C            The way is near, but men
     // \           seek it afar. It is in the
    N    N          easy things, but men seek it
    |    ||         in the difficult things.
    C    C          -Menicius
     \\  /
--------------------------------------------------}

Post a reply to this message

Since I'm replying here anyway I might as well suggest just using
a high quality Jpeg for those.  Least compression.  Newspaper is
going to be pretty garbled by anything other than the least compression
setting you can use and yet be the smallest file size I think.
GIF would be good but then it's a licensed format so not sure how good
an idea that is.
PNG would simply be a large file size for such large images, imo.

Bob

"Paul Jones" <pdj### [at] psuedu> wrote in message news:391FE735.270BC29E@psu.edu...
| Hey,
|
| this is not a pov question, but you guys here (D.F. C.H. P.P. et al. )
| are very reliable in your graphics knowledge so I figured I would ask
| :-)
|
| I am scanning in a lot of newspaper articles and need to find a good
| format to store them in for others to view off of a CD-Rom. Currently
| the uncompressed images are about 6Mb each (at 200 dpi scanning) which
| is way too large. Any thogthts about the advantages or disadvantages of
| JPEG or TIFF or PNG?
|
| thanks a lot  again, sorry this is a non-pov msg in a pov group :-)
|
| -paul
| --
|

| --------------------------------------------------}
| Paul Daniel Jones
| The Pennslyvania State University
|
| pdj### [at] psuedu
| http://research.chem.psu.edu/glassgrp/paul
|
|        C            The way is near, but men
|      // \           seek it afar. It is in the
|     N    N          easy things, but men seek it
|     |    ||         in the difficult things.
|     C    C          -Menicius
|      \\  /

Post a reply to this message