POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : image formats.... : Re: image formats.... Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:17:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: image formats....
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 15 May 2000 09:03:14
Message: <391FF55F.34B976CE@online.no>
Paul Jones wrote:

> Hey,
>
> this is not a pov question, but you guys here (D.F. C.H. P.P. et al. )
> are very reliable in your graphics knowledge so I figured I would ask
> :-)
>
> I am scanning in a lot of newspaper articles and need to find a good
> format to store them in for others to view off of a CD-Rom. Currently
> the uncompressed images are about 6Mb each (at 200 dpi scanning) which
> is way too large. Any thogthts about the advantages or disadvantages of
> JPEG or TIFF or PNG?

I would say that this depends very much on what viewing tools you expect
the end user to have.

And if you plan to enclose any viewing tools on the CD you will also have
to make assumptions of what platform (operating system) the end users have.

If you select a graphic web browser as the viewing tool:

JPEG: Good support (Good compression, but lossy)
PNG: Partly supported (Moderate compression, loss less)
TIFF: Poor support (Moderate/Poor compression, losses)
GIF: Good support (Moderate/Poor compression, only 256 colours)

JPEG would be a poor choice for images containing text and line art.
(I'm not sure how it performs with raster images as in the papers.)

I would also look at the possibility to enclose the Adobe Acrobat Reader
on the CD and select the PDF format for the image files. As far as I
remember Adobe Acrobat it is ported to several different platforms.

Postscript (PS) could also be an alternative.

If I had to choose (without knowing more about the end users),
I would have selected the GIF format (In combination with HTML
pages with thumbnails.)

Tor Olav
--
mailto:tor### [at] hotmailcom