POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : image formats.... : Re: image formats.... Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:25:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: image formats....
From: Peter Popov
Date: 15 May 2000 16:58:49
Message: <uck0iso1q2a3l0n0caaliov0bv07flp9lp@4ax.com>
On Mon, 15 May 2000 08:01:57 -0400, Paul Jones <pdj### [at] psuedu> wrote:

>Hey,
>
>this is not a pov question, but you guys here (D.F. C.H. P.P. et al. )
>are very reliable in your graphics knowledge so I figured I would ask
>:-)
>
>I am scanning in a lot of newspaper articles and need to find a good
>format to store them in for others to view off of a CD-Rom. Currently
>the uncompressed images are about 6Mb each (at 200 dpi scanning) which
>is way too large. Any thogthts about the advantages or disadvantages of
>JPEG or TIFF or PNG?

If you can convert to black and white (duotone, not grayscale) then
GIF, PNG, TIFF and BMP/RLE should offer about the same compression. Of
these, GIF enjoys the largest user base and can be viewed with
virtually any browser or image displaying program.

If you really need color, then go for JPEG. A CD can hold about
twenty-five to fifty thousand square inches of 200 dpi color JPEG data
without noticeable degradation of image quality. Even highly lossy
JPEG compression doesn't hurt high-resolution images very much because
JPEG is based on 8x8 pixel blocks and it's lossiness in mostly an
issue when these blocks are easily visible.

TIFF is the most flexible format of all but you'll probably only need
to work with it if you plan to print these in a print house.

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] usanet