POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Parsing vs. Rendering Performance Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:30:50 EDT (-0400)
  Parsing vs. Rendering Performance (Message 8 to 17 of 37)
<<< Previous 7 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: omniVERSE
Subject: Re: Parsing vs. Rendering Performance
Date: 29 Dec 1999 06:11:55
Message: <3869ec7b@news.povray.org>
And POV-Ray for Windows v3.1g.  Don't know how I could have left that most
vital part out.

Bob

"omniVERSE" <inv### [at] aolcom> wrote in message
> Parse time of 8.0 sec. and render time of 3.0 sec. for a total of 11.0
> seconds.
> Pentium III 500MHz, 32KB L1 Cache, 512KB L2 Cache, 256MB 100MHz SDRAM,
> 13.4GB ATA66 7200RPM HardDisk.
> Win98SE at 68% Resources.
>
> Bob
>
> "David Fontaine" <dav### [at] faricynet> wrote in message
> news:386### [at] faricynet...
> > > For example I designed this scene to take exactly 30 sec. to parse
> > > on my system.
> >
> > 9.0 here... What's in your computer?

Post a reply to this message

From: Nieminen Juha
Date: 29 Dec 1999 06:49:49
Message: <3869f55d@news.povray.org>
Well, I was asking for both the meaning of the word and what Ken meant with
it.

From: Chris Huff
Date: 29 Dec 1999 07:13:51
Message: <chrishuff_99-375B5B.07144329121999@news.povray.org>
In article <38698759.90BDCD6B@pacbell.net>, lin### [at] povrayorg
wrote:

> Benchmark testing generaly relies on the amount of time it takes
> to render a given scene. If one were to design a scene that was
> parsing intensive rather than render intensive how well would it
> evaluate a systems performance ?
>
> For example I designed this scene to take exactly 30 sec. to parse
> on my system. There is a camera added simply to ensure that it was
> not pointed at any object and there are no lights added so that I
> rendered a black screen only. Render time at 640x480 with aa = 0.3
> was only 8 sec. which is inconsequential. A pigment was added to
> the object to ensure that no CPU cycles were spent on sending no
> pigment warnings messages to the message window for each object
> created by the scene code.
>
> camera {location < 0, 0, -3 >look_at  z*-6}
>
> #declare A = 0;
>   #while (A<29500)
>     sphere{<0,0,A>,1 pigment{rgb 1}}
>   #declare A=A+1;
> #end

With the official 3.1g.r2, cache set to maximum:
Time For Parse:    0 hours  0 minutes  13.0 seconds (13 seconds)
Time For Trace:    0 hours  0 minutes   8.0 seconds (8 seconds)
    Total Time:    0 hours  0 minutes  21.0 seconds (21 seconds)

With MacMegaPOV:
Time For Parse:    0 hours  0 minutes  14.0 seconds (14 seconds)
Time For Trace:    0 hours  0 minutes   1.0 seconds (1 seconds)
    Total Time:    0 hours  0 minutes  15.0 seconds (15 seconds)

My computer is a Power Macintosh G3 266 "beige" desktop, with  96MB RAM,
booting from an external SCSI 9.1GB LaCie hard drive. The OS I ran these
tests under is Mac OS 8.6(I haven't gotten Mac OS 9 yet, and have been
too busy to do anything with LinuxPPC).

I would suggest a scene file that does some more complex calculations
instead of just creating a bunch of objects.

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom

Post a reply to this message

Wow, hey, large difference in the render time for those two.  I didn't think
there would be any significant change.  Must be a Mac thing.
Just tried it myself and got a 9 sec parse with 3 sec again for render in
MegaPOV for Windows (although the =render= time has switched between 2 to 4
seconds on successive trials).

Bob

"Chris Huff" <chr### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message
> In article <38698759.90BDCD6B@pacbell.net>, lin### [at] povrayorg
> wrote:
>
> > Benchmark testing generaly relies on the amount of time it takes
> > to render a given scene. If one were to design a scene that was
> > parsing intensive rather than render intensive how well would it
> > evaluate a systems performance ?
> >
> > For example I designed this scene to take exactly 30 sec. to parse
> > on my system. There is a camera added simply to ensure that it was
> > not pointed at any object and there are no lights added so that I
> > rendered a black screen only. Render time at 640x480 with aa = 0.3
> > was only 8 sec. which is inconsequential. A pigment was added to
> > the object to ensure that no CPU cycles were spent on sending no
> > pigment warnings messages to the message window for each object
> > created by the scene code.
> >
> > camera {location < 0, 0, -3 >look_at  z*-6}
> >
> > #declare A = 0;
> >   #while (A<29500)
> >     sphere{<0,0,A>,1 pigment{rgb 1}}
> >   #declare A=A+1;
> > #end
>
> With the official 3.1g.r2, cache set to maximum:
> Time For Parse:    0 hours  0 minutes  13.0 seconds (13 seconds)
> Time For Trace:    0 hours  0 minutes   8.0 seconds (8 seconds)
>     Total Time:    0 hours  0 minutes  21.0 seconds (21 seconds)
>
> With MacMegaPOV:
> Time For Parse:    0 hours  0 minutes  14.0 seconds (14 seconds)
> Time For Trace:    0 hours  0 minutes   1.0 seconds (1 seconds)
>     Total Time:    0 hours  0 minutes  15.0 seconds (15 seconds)
>
> My computer is a Power Macintosh G3 266 "beige" desktop, with  96MB RAM,
> booting from an external SCSI 9.1GB LaCie hard drive. The OS I ran these
> tests under is Mac OS 8.6(I haven't gotten Mac OS 9 yet, and have been
> too busy to do anything with LinuxPPC).
>
> I would suggest a scene file that does some more complex calculations
> instead of just creating a bunch of objects.
>
> --
> Chris Huff
> e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom
> Web page: http://chrishuff.dhs.org/

Post a reply to this message

> Wow, hey, large difference in the render time for those two.  I didn't think
> there would be any significant change.  Must be a Mac thing.
> Just tried it myself and got a 9 sec parse with 3 sec again for render in
> MegaPOV for Windows (although the =render= time has switched between 2 to 4
> seconds on successive trials).
>
> Bob

You guy's are still missing the point here. I give up.

--
Wishing you Seasons Greetings and A Happy New Millennium !

I always thought that the render was the most system intensive
part of the process.