POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Parsing vs. Rendering Performance : Re: Parsing vs. Rendering Performance Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:31:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Parsing vs. Rendering Performance
From: omniVERSE
Date: 29 Dec 1999 08:36:25
Message: <386a0e59@news.povray.org>
Back to the root of this thread.
  The render time is obviously a video aspect to a machine, whereas the
parse time is going to be the real guts of it, ie. the CPU and associated
bus (and memory usage).
  Ken is just saying his test script is an example of such a thing, unlike a
render intensive benchmarking.  That should be the focus of this
conversation I guess, right Ken?
  I would suggest leaving off the render part entirely for that matter, at
least by using the -d switch or Display=Off.  How about the file
riting?  -f or Output_to_File=Off.
  I think Niemenin is onto something about the more complex parsing,
although the question might be then could it be independant of platform
used?  Say, not work a CPU in a set way for one particular machine and
another differently?  Actually I suppose that's one point about benchmarks
anyway.

Bob