POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Parsing vs. Rendering Performance : Re: Parsing vs. Rendering Performance Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:29:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Parsing vs. Rendering Performance
From: Ron Parker
Date: 29 Dec 1999 10:19:54
Message: <386a2576.162126908@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 28 Dec 1999 20:00:25 -0800, Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:

>Benchmark testing generaly relies on the amount of time it takes
>to render a given scene. If one were to design a scene that was
>parsing intensive rather than render intensive how well would it
>evaluate a systems performance ?

Well, you're evaluating a part of the process that typically takes a
lot less time and doesn't tax the same parts of the architecture that
a render does.  In particular, parsing is more concerned with file I/O

and memory allocation performance than with floating point
performance, so you're likely to see huge differences from filesystem
to filesystem and from OS to OS, even on the same computer.

Your example is probably more dependent on memory allocation than
anything else, so it might be a good measure of how fast your computer
can allocate memory.  Whether that's a good gauge of performance is up
to you, but I'd say no.