POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Parsing vs. Rendering Performance : Re: Parsing vs. Rendering Performance Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:21:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Parsing vs. Rendering Performance
From: Remco de Korte
Date: 29 Dec 1999 10:45:11
Message: <386A2C19.EDEE9237@xs4all.nl>
Ken wrote:

> Benchmark testing generaly relies on the amount of time it takes
> to render a given scene. If one were to design a scene that was
> parsing intensive rather than render intensive how well would it
> evaluate a systems performance ?
>
> For example I designed this scene to take exactly 30 sec. to parse
> on my system. There is a camera added simply to ensure that it was
> not pointed at any object and there are no lights added so that I
> rendered a black screen only. Render time at 640x480 with aa = 0.3
> was only 8 sec. which is inconsequential. A pigment was added to
> the object to ensure that no CPU cycles were spent on sending no
> pigment warnings messages to the message window for each object
> created by the scene code.

Parsing has more than one aspects to it. I'm no tech-expert so I can't
say much about it really but you might at least consider the actual
parsing (reading the scene), calculating (influenced by the type of
calculations - perhaps this is sytem-specific), creating objects and
memory management.
Perhaps you should have more then one benchmark file to test against all
of these (and more?) things.
??

Remco