POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Parsing vs. Rendering Performance Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:22:46 EDT (-0400)
  Parsing vs. Rendering Performance (Message 18 to 27 of 37)
From: Remco de Korte
Subject: Re: Parsing vs. Rendering Performance
Date: 29 Dec 1999 10:52:26
Message: <386A2DCC.B45A86C5@xs4all.nl>
Ron Parker wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Dec 1999 20:00:25 -0800, Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:
>
> >Benchmark testing generaly relies on the amount of time it takes
> >to render a given scene. If one were to design a scene that was
> >parsing intensive rather than render intensive how well would it
> >evaluate a systems performance ?
>
> Well, you're evaluating a part of the process that typically takes a
> lot less time

Sorry for cutting most of the message but this was the only thing I
think perhaps I disagree on. Most of the time rendering may take more
time than parsing but not in all cases. At the moment I'm rendering a
series of images where the parse time exceeds the render time. This, of
course is not very smart 8) In extreme cases it's better to do the heavy
calculations in an external program which will need only a fraction of
the time. Unfortunately this doesn't always work. I have noticed that
with the increasing power of my system I've concocted increasingly
complicated scenes which, even on a faster system, on average take
longer to render but even more so to parse (the more memory, the more
objects, the more parsing).

Just my two eurocents...

Remco

Post a reply to this message