POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Parsing vs. Rendering Performance : Re: Parsing vs. Rendering Performance Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:24:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Parsing vs. Rendering Performance
From: Chris Huff
Date: 29 Dec 1999 16:12:34
Message: <chrishuff_99-00B410.16132729121999@news.povray.org>
In article <386a0e59@news.povray.org>, "omniVERSE" <inv### [at] aolcom>
wrote:

>   The render time is obviously a video aspect to a machine, whereas the
> parse time is going to be the real guts of it, ie. the CPU and associated
> bus (and memory usage).

Nope, the video portions of the computer are not used in rendering.
Rendering mostly tests the floating point performance of the
microprocessor and the access speed of the RAM.
The only effect the video parts would have are in displaying the
rendered image on the screen, and that is probably almost unnoticeable.
And you can always turn the display off.

>   I would suggest leaving off the render part entirely for that matter,
> at least by using the -d switch or Display=Off.  How about the file
> riting?  -f or Output_to_File=Off.

That doesn't turn the render off, just the display of the rendered
image. The best way to minimize the render time interfering with the
parse time would be to set a very small image size(like 4*4 pixels).

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom