POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Weird results scaling normals Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:21:52 EDT (-0400)
  Weird results scaling normals (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Nieminen Juha
Subject: Weird results scaling normals
Date: 24 Nov 1999 13:37:11
Message: <383c3057@news.povray.org>
Try this:

camera { location y*4-z*4 look_at 0 angle 35 }
light_source { <100,200,-300> 1 }
#declare Granite = texture { pigment { rgb x } normal { granite 1 } }
plane
{ y,0 texture { Granite }
}

  And now try this:

camera { location y*4-z*4 look_at 0 angle 35 }
light_source { <100,200,-300> 1 }
#declare Granite = texture { pigment { rgb x } normal { granite } }
plane
{ y,0
  texture
  { gradient x texture_map
    { [0 Granite scale .01][1 Granite scale .01]
    }
    scale 100
  }
}

  The result should be identical, but it isn't.
  I remember reading about problems when scaling normals. Is this the one?