POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Weird results scaling normals : Re: Weird results scaling normals Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:16:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Weird results scaling normals
From: Nieminen Juha
Date: 24 Nov 1999 13:47:23
Message: <383c32bb@news.povray.org>
Btw, this causes serious problems. Let me explain where did I find this
bug.
  I was trying to make a plane that looks like a terrain, with ground, woods
and rivers. I declared a ground texture (the granite normal is really good
for this), a water texture and a forest texture.
  To apply the forest to the ground, I made a bozo texture map with them.
Then I made a turbulenced gradient texture map with this and the
water to add rivers.
  Since the rivers where too close to each other, I scaled up the texture.
This of course scaled up all the subtextures as well. I wanted to scale only
the texture map and not the textures inside it. The only way of doing this
is to scale down the subtextures by the same amount.
  However, as we can see, this breaks the normals. They become really
weird. There's no way to fix this.

  Then I tried to achieve this by layering the textures, but for some
reason you can't layer patterned textures. What a problem!

  I ended up using separated planes for each layer. This is easy when
handling planes, but what about more complex objects? There should be an
easier way.