POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Water texture 2 Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:18:49 EDT (-0400)
  Water texture 2 (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Fabian Brau
Subject: Water texture 2
Date: 27 Oct 1999 03:54:39
Message: <3816BE2D.2D0C1E88@umh.ac.be>
Hello,

one can see the picture I post on pbi (the post was water texture). This
picture was done with lightwave (not by me :)). So this use shader. If I
have well understood, a shader can give texture (like povray texture)
but also give a 3D deformation of the object (example: a sphere can be
deformed by a shader to look like a AIDS virus (with small cones
everywhere and this is real 3d cones)). So with shader it is sometime
more simple to modelling things (but certainly more complex).

If you look the picture, you will see two scale in the normal:

1) one which look like a large scale bump
2) another which you like a smaller scale pattern (but which one??)

The question is:

how can I make a normal with two scale like this?

I have try with normal_map but without success (it is perhaps because I
am not so good :)). The best result I have obtained is with layered
texture but it is quite hard!!

I thing it could be interesting for povray evolution to find good
textures for common things.

For clouds, many user have found good methods (example: jaime vives
Piqueres http://members.xoom.com/jaimevives/).

But for water, ocean etc... perhaps one can do better.

Suggestion?

Fabian.

Post a reply to this message