POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Water texture 2 : Re: Water texture 2 Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:18:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Water texture 2
From: Margus Ramst
Date: 27 Oct 1999 05:47:51
Message: <3816CA1C.8D266727@peak.edu.ee>
Fabian Brau wrote:

> If you look the picture, you will see two scale in the normal:
>
> 1) one which look like a large scale bump
> 2) another which you like a smaller scale pattern (but which one??)
>
> The question is:
>
> how can I make a normal with two scale like this?
>
> I have try with normal_map but without success (it is perhaps because I
> am not so good :)). The best result I have obtained is with layered
> texture but it is quite hard!!

Clouds, water ripples, landscapes - they all have one thing in common:
they are fractal by nature. So to approximate them, some kind of fractal
noise tends to be the best method. The granite pattern is fractal noise,
iirc so is wrinkles. You can also create fractal noise by averaging
together several differently-scaled bozo patterns.
I myself like to use the latter, since this gives the most control over
the pattern. I believe you could get something like the example pattern
with this method. It won't be easy, no. But getting good results is
seldom easy.

Margus