POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Water texture 2 : Re: Water texture 2 Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:28:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Water texture 2
From: Thomas Willhalm
Date: 27 Oct 1999 07:40:45
Message: <qqm4sfd820y.fsf@goldach.fmi.uni-konstanz.de>
Nieminen Juha <war### [at] punarastascstutfi> writes:

> Fabian Brau <fab### [at] umhacbe> wrote:
> : how can I make a normal with two scale like this?
>
> : I have try with normal_map but without success (it is perhaps because I
> : am not so good :)). The best result I have obtained is with layered
> : texture but it is quite hard!!
>
>   Use the normal { average normal_map { ... } }

In my opinion, a very good normal map for water surfaces is given in:

Steven Worley
A Cellular Texture Basis Function
Computer Graphics Prooceedings
Annual Conference Series, 1996
ACM 0-89791-746-4/96/008

You can find an online overview at:
http://graphics.lcs.mit.edu/~mcm/6.838j/worley/s1.html
Two ocean images are included.

I've played around with it by adding (not averaging) modified crackle
patterns. One or two pictures should still reside in p.b.i with subject
"ocean". The rest of the texture (pigment and finish) were far from
perfect, though.

I hope this helps.
Thomas

--