POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Crossposting (was Re: I highly doubt that anything that I've written is "spam" ...) Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:28:02 EDT (-0400)
  Crossposting (was Re: I highly doubt that anything that I've written is "spam" ...) (Message 1 to 10 of 38)
From: Ron Parker
Subject: Crossposting (was Re: I highly doubt that anything that I've written is "spam" ...)
Date: 2 Sep 1999 09:20:38
Message: <37ce79a6@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 02 Sep 1999 03:34:47 -0700, Ken wrote:
>I think he was referring to the multi-group cross posting. Management really
>frowns on cross posting on this server and has been known to delete entire
>threads that were cross posted without warning. Pick one group to continue
>the discussion in and drop the rest from the list.

I agree completely with this part.  Unnecessary crossposting is both
rude and, well, unnecessary.  Especially when it's crossposting of binaries
to non-binaries groups.

>Unlike usenet where the
>articles are expired in a timely manner all of the articles ever posted here
>are still available for you to read through. If cross posting gets out of
>hand it will consume valuable storage resources and eventually lead to the
>server Admin having to remove articles to make room for new messages.

Actually, if the news software is implemented correctly, it only stores
one copy of the article and keeps pointers to it in the various group
databases.  That's what the xref header is all about.  One of the worst
problems with massive crossposting, in my mind, is that some people will
modify the followup-to header (as I have, followups to p.a-u.) and
branch the discussion in multiple ways.  Following the entire discussion
can get hard at that point.  The other problem, and the reason I've cut
this back to one group, is that many newsreaders can't automatically
eliminate crossposted articles that have been read once, so I end up
reading every article in this thread in every group it's posted to
when I use Agent.  Most everyone here is subscribed to most if not all
of the groups, so discussing the problem only in the most appropriate
group usually will reach someone with an answer.

>This message is as much for your sake Dennis as it is for everyone else.
>The space on this server is not infinite and should be used wisely by
>everyone who participates here. And while your at it everyone stop by
>and purchase an IRTC CD to help support this server. You'll be happy
>you did :)

I agree wholeheartedly with this part, too.

Post a reply to this message