POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : What Exactly is a Sky_Sphere [(?) !] Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:27:45 EDT (-0400)
  What Exactly is a Sky_Sphere [(?) !] (Message 11 to 17 of 17)
From: Nieminen Juha
Subject: Re: What Exactly is a Sky_Sphere [(?) !]
Date: 30 Aug 1999 10:38:04
Message: <37ca974c@news.povray.org>
Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:
: That's no good because then you would fall off the edge of the world. Duh !

  But that would make a really good animation!

From: Larry Fontaine
Subject: Re: A Sky_Sphere is infinte
Date: 2 Sep 1999 17:32:08
Message: <37CEE372.D68F9C3D@isd.net>
But it's impossible to move beyond the sky_sphere because it's infinite. It's
merely rendered as a sor of "backdrop" to the scene, the same regardless of
camera position. Kind of like those skies in Doom and Quake that don't appear
to get closer as you move.

Of course, that doesn't mean there's nothing else there... Suppose we live in
a three-dimensional universe that's like a "slice" of a four-dimensional one.
There's a whole nother dimension that we can't possibly get to.

Nieminen Juha wrote:

> Remco de Korte <rem### [at] xs4allnl> wrote:
> : Another interesting question might be: what's BEHIND a sky_sphere (or a
> : background).
>
>   That certainly is an interesting question. Perhaps if you move the
> camera very very very very far away from the origin, you will reach the
> border of the sky_sphere...
>
> --
> main(i,_){for(_?--i,main(i+2,"FhhQHFIJD|FQTITFN]zRFHhhTBFHhhTBFysdB"[i]
> ):5;i&&_>1;printf("%s",_-70?_&1?"[]":" ":(_=0,"\n")),_/=2);} /*- Warp -*/

Post a reply to this message

> But it's impossible to move beyond the sky_sphere because it's infinite. It's
> merely rendered as a sor of "backdrop" to the scene, the same regardless of
> camera position. Kind of like those skies in Doom and Quake that don't appear
> to get closer as you move.
>
> Of course, that doesn't mean there's nothing else there... Suppose we live in
> a three-dimensional universe that's like a "slice" of a four-dimensional one.
> There's a whole nother dimension that we can't possibly get to.

  I think that you will find that the people in this thread know all about
how the sky sphere is implemented. The sky sphere is not even really infinite.
It exsists everywhere something else isn't. More specificaly everywhere there
is no object the skysphere fills in the unused pixels. A fancy fog of sorts.

We were just having fun...

--
Ken Tyler

See my 850+ Povray and 3D Rendering and Raytracing Links at: