POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : How to distribute points equally on sqhere surface? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:13:28 EDT (-0400)
  How to distribute points equally on sqhere surface? (Message 1 to 10 of 22)
From: Peter Santo
Subject: How to distribute points equally on sqhere surface?
Date: 1 Jun 1999 00:50:23
Message: <37535875.1B1F229E@pool.informatik.rwth-aachen.de>
Hello!

I would like to render a sphere with an arbitrary number of points (or
smaller spheres) on its surface that I want to distribute equally (so
the distance to the neighbouring points is nearly equal for every
point). I suppose there is no perfect solution for that problem, but I
would like to approximate it as good as possible.

A funktion could look like this:
Input: Number of points (n)
Output: n pairs of angles (horizontal and vertical from sphere's center)
that describe the location of the points. (alternatively <x,y,z>-coords
on the surface)

Of course, the solution is easy for n = 1(trivial), 2(line),
3(traingle), 4(tetrahedron), 6(octahedron), 8(cube) and some more. I
also checked http://www.cris.com/~rjbono/html/domes.html , but geodesic
domes always have a "magic" number of corners.

Does anyone have an idea for this? Any help would be appreciated (also
"It does not work, because..").

/PETER/

--
Peter Santo (PUMP development)
Visit: http://www.ieee.rwth-aachen.de/mp3/

Post a reply to this message

On Tue, 01 Jun 1999 05:50:13 +0200, Peter Santo
<san### [at] poolinformatikrwth-aachende> wrote:

>I would like to render a sphere with an arbitrary number of points (or
>smaller spheres) on its surface that I want to distribute equally (so
>the distance to the neighbouring points is nearly equal for every
>point). I suppose there is no perfect solution for that problem, but I
>would like to approximate it as good as possible.
>
>A funktion could look like this:
>Input: Number of points (n)
>Output: n pairs of angles (horizontal and vertical from sphere's center)
>that describe the location of the points. (alternatively <x,y,z>-coords
>on the surface)
>
>Of course, the solution is easy for n = 1(trivial), 2(line),
>3(traingle), 4(tetrahedron), 6(octahedron), 8(cube) and some more. I
>also checked http://www.cris.com/~rjbono/html/domes.html , but geodesic
>domes always have a "magic" number of corners.
>
>Does anyone have an idea for this? Any help would be appreciated (also
>"It does not work, because..").

The question is tricky because "equal distribution" on a sphere turns
out not to be really well defined.  Nonetheless, there are solutions.
The FAQ for the group comp.graphics.algorithms has pointers to several
discussions and even specific point sets for many numbers.  If you
can't find the stuff referenced by the FAQ, email me and I will send
you some tech info and point sets.

Jerry Anning
clem "at" dhol "dot" com

Post a reply to this message

I long ago brought to this group an excellent link for all this kinds of
info. Here is the link to the specific subject you request information
about:

http://www.mhri.edu.au/~pdb/geometry/spherepoints/

Good luck.

--
Anthony L. Bennett
http://welcome.to/TonyB

Graphics rendered
by the Dreamachine.

Post a reply to this message

On Tue, 01 Jun 1999 05:50:13 +0200, Peter Santo
<san### [at] poolinformatikrwth-aachende> wrote:

>Hello!
>
>I would like to render a sphere with an arbitrary number of points (or
>smaller spheres) on its surface that I want to distribute equally (so
>the distance to the neighbouring points is nearly equal for every
>point). I suppose there is no perfect solution for that problem, but I
>would like to approximate it as good as possible.
>
>/PETER/

Let the points repel each other. Restrict their movement to the
surface of the sphere. Place them randomly (for ex. x=rand(),
y=rand(), z = sqrt(1-x*x-y*y) ). Start to calculate theit movement due
to repulsive forces. Stop when the velocity of the currently fastest
point does not exceed 4*pi*r/NumberOfPoints [in SpaceUnits per
TimeUnits] or some other preset value. return();

Hope this helps.
---------
Peter Popov
ICQ: 15002700

Post a reply to this message

Peter Santo <san### [at] poolinformatikrwth-aachende> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I would like to render a sphere with an arbitrary number of points (or
> smaller spheres) on its surface that I want to distribute equally (so
> the distance to the neighbouring points is nearly equal for every
> point). I suppose there is no perfect solution for that problem, but I
> would like to approximate it as good as possible.
>
> A funktion could look like this:
> Input: Number of points (n)
> Output: n pairs of angles (horizontal and vertical from sphere's center)
> that describe the location of the points. (alternatively <x,y,z>-coords
> on the surface)
>
> Of course, the solution is easy for n = 1(trivial), 2(line),
> 3(traingle), 4(tetrahedron), 6(octahedron), 8(cube) and some more. I
> also checked http://www.cris.com/~rjbono/html/domes.html , but geodesic
> domes always have a "magic" number of corners.

There are only 3 solutions because when all points are equaly distributed
they will make out triangles with equaly long sides, and there only exists 3
such cases: the tetrahedron(4 sides), the octahedron(8 sides) and the
dodecaedron(20 sides). On a cube, for example, the points are not equaly
distributed. How ever there are recursive methods of finding a close
solution for any number of points, and that usualy is close enough. Two
methods are described in this page:
http://www.mhri.edu.au/~pdb/geometry/spherepoints/index.html

/Anders

Post a reply to this message

> On Tue, 01 Jun 1999 05:50:13 +0200, Peter Santo
> <san### [at] poolinformatikrwth-aachende> wrote:
>
> >Hello!
> >
> >I would like to render a sphere with an arbitrary number of points (or
> >smaller spheres) on its surface that I want to distribute equally (so
> >the distance to the neighbouring points is nearly equal for every
> >point). I suppose there is no perfect solution for that problem, but I
> >would like to approximate it as good as possible.
> >
> >/PETER/
>
> Let the points repel each other. Restrict their movement to the
> surface of the sphere. Place them randomly (for ex. x=rand(),
> y=rand(), z = sqrt(1-x*x-y*y) ). Start to calculate theit movement due
> to repulsive forces. Stop when the velocity of the currently fastest
> point does not exceed 4*pi*r/NumberOfPoints [in SpaceUnits per
> TimeUnits] or some other preset value. return();
>
> Hope this helps.
> ---------
> Peter Popov
> ICQ: 15002700

I have been wondering about a solution for this some time ago.
I think your strategy is brilliant (in the way that it makes me say: why didn't
_I_ thin of that? ;-)) but I think POV will parse on this forever. You'll
probably need an external program to do the calculations.
Anybody?

Remco

Post a reply to this message

On Tue, 01 Jun 1999 11:52:21 +0200, Remco de Korte
<rem### [at] xs4allnl> wrote:

>I have been wondering about a solution for this some time ago.
>I think your strategy is brilliant (in the way that it makes me say: why didn't
>_I_ thin of that? ;-)) but I think POV will parse on this forever. You'll
>probably need an external program to do the calculations.
>Anybody?
>
>Remco

Nay, not mine. I think I saw it in either sci.math, sci.physics or
comp.graphics.algorithms. Check out the FAQs of those groups to find
out who the author of the algorithm is.

---------
Peter Popov
ICQ: 15002700