POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : How to distribute points equally on sqhere surface? : Re: How to distribute points equally on sqhere surface? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:20:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to distribute points equally on sqhere surface?
From: Peter Santo
Date: 1 Jun 1999 21:46:44
Message: <37547EEA.85B82D80@pool.informatik.rwth-aachen.de>
Thank you all very much for your helpful information!

> >You'll
> >probably need an external program to do the calculations.
> >Anybody?

> Nay, not mine. I think I saw it in either sci.math, sci.physics or
> comp.graphics.algorithms. Check out the FAQs of those groups to find
> out who the author of the algorithm is.

What is wrong with the code at
http://www.mhri.edu.au/~pdb/geometry/spherepoints/ ?

> >but I think POV will parse on this forever.

Hmm, in fact, I thought about making the algorithm a little more
efficient (adaptive step size) and implementing it as a povray macro.
But maybe it is not a sensible thing to do, because you either render a
single image - then it is not worth writing lots of code. Or you render
an animation - then you do not want to spend too much time parsing.

/PETER/

--
Peter Santo (PUMP development)
Visit: http://www.ieee.rwth-aachen.de/mp3/