POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : How to distribute points equally on sqhere surface? : Re: How to distribute points equally on sqhere surface? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:23:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to distribute points equally on sqhere surface?
From: Peter Popov
Date: 1 Jun 1999 02:28:35
Message: <37536de1.24675844@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 01 Jun 1999 05:50:13 +0200, Peter Santo
<san### [at] poolinformatikrwth-aachende> wrote:

>Hello!
>
>I would like to render a sphere with an arbitrary number of points (or
>smaller spheres) on its surface that I want to distribute equally (so
>the distance to the neighbouring points is nearly equal for every
>point). I suppose there is no perfect solution for that problem, but I
>would like to approximate it as good as possible.
>
>/PETER/

Let the points repel each other. Restrict their movement to the
surface of the sphere. Place them randomly (for ex. x=rand(),
y=rand(), z = sqrt(1-x*x-y*y) ). Start to calculate theit movement due
to repulsive forces. Stop when the velocity of the currently fastest
point does not exceed 4*pi*r/NumberOfPoints [in SpaceUnits per
TimeUnits] or some other preset value. return();

Hope this helps.
---------
Peter Popov
ICQ: 15002700