POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : How to distribute points equally on sqhere surface? : How to distribute points equally on sqhere surface? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:16:35 EDT (-0400)
  How to distribute points equally on sqhere surface?
From: Peter Santo
Date: 1 Jun 1999 00:50:23
Message: <37535875.1B1F229E@pool.informatik.rwth-aachen.de>
Hello!

I would like to render a sphere with an arbitrary number of points (or
smaller spheres) on its surface that I want to distribute equally (so
the distance to the neighbouring points is nearly equal for every
point). I suppose there is no perfect solution for that problem, but I
would like to approximate it as good as possible.

A funktion could look like this:
Input: Number of points (n)
Output: n pairs of angles (horizontal and vertical from sphere's center)
that describe the location of the points. (alternatively <x,y,z>-coords
on the surface)

Of course, the solution is easy for n = 1(trivial), 2(line),
3(traingle), 4(tetrahedron), 6(octahedron), 8(cube) and some more. I
also checked http://www.cris.com/~rjbono/html/domes.html , but geodesic
domes always have a "magic" number of corners.

Does anyone have an idea for this? Any help would be appreciated (also
"It does not work, because..").

/PETER/

--
Peter Santo (PUMP development)