POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : How to distribute points equally on sqhere surface? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:15:10 EDT (-0400)
  How to distribute points equally on sqhere surface? (Message 13 to 22 of 22)
From: Swift
Subject: Re: How to distribute points equally on sqhere surface?
Date: 9 Jun 1999 08:54:33
Message: <375E6450.D268B49F@fanpro.com>
Hi Peter!

Peter Santo wrote:

> I would like to render a sphere with an arbitrary number of points (or
> smaller spheres) on its surface that I want to distribute equally (so
> the distance to the neighbouring points is nearly equal for every
> point). I suppose there is no perfect solution for that problem, but I
> would like to approximate it as good as possible.

I had the same problem. After some time I realized that a factor of 5 works
very fine:
Solution 1: 7 points (1 at each pole and ring at 90degree with 5 points)
Solution 2: 22 points (1 at each pole, a ring of 5 points at 45degrees, a
ring of 10 points at 90degrees, a ring of 5 points at 135 degrees)
Solution 3: 47 points (1, 5, 10, 15, 10, 5, 1)
Solution 4: 82 points (1, 5, 10, 15, 20, 15, 10, 5, 1)
Solution 5: 127 points (1, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 20, 15, 10, 5, 1)
... and so on ...

You cannot choose any number of points but using a factor of 5 is *very*
simple and the output looks fine. And you can choose really high numbers of
points without any complicated calculation.
A picture using this technique can be found at
http://home.ins.de/~tobias.wiersch/htm/newyear.htm

Hope this helps ...

 ... tobias wiersch

Post a reply to this message

> I would like to render a sphere with an arbitrary number of points (or
> smaller spheres) on its surface that I want to distribute equally (so
> the distance to the neighbouring points is nearly equal for every
> point). I suppose there is no perfect solution for that problem, but I
> would like to approximate it as good as possible.
>
> A funktion could look like this:
> Input: Number of points (n)
> Output: n pairs of angles (horizontal and vertical from sphere's center)
> that describe the location of the points. (alternatively <x,y,z>-coords
> on the surface)
>
> Of course, the solution is easy for n = 1(trivial), 2(line),
> 3(traingle), 4(tetrahedron), 6(octahedron), 8(cube) and some more. I
> also checked http://www.cris.com/~rjbono/html/domes.html , but geodesic
> domes always have a "magic" number of corners.
>
> Does anyone have an idea for this? Any help would be appreciated (also
> "It does not work, because..").
>
> /PETER/
>
> --
> Peter Santo (PUMP development)