POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : How to distribute points equally on sqhere surface? : Re: How to distribute points equally on sqhere surface? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:31:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to distribute points equally on sqhere surface?
From: Remco de Korte
Date: 16 Jul 1999 10:14:04
Message: <378F3BFA.3F38485D@xs4all.nl>
Markus Becker wrote:

> Remco de Korte wrote:

I've been working on something like this in a program and an include file. I
have an include that calculates points on a sphere based upon such a thing with
twelve points :), recursively, which is only for a fixed amount of points but it
takes ages to parse and I'm afraid the same will happen for the include file
that will distribute any amount of points.
I don't really need it (anymore) but if anyone is interested I could give it a
go, but don't complain about parsing time.
(as an example: calculating some 16000 points took over a day and then I broke
it off - the same would probably take a couple of minutes in a separate program)

But, to come to my actual reply: the problem with the local minimum is something
that has been bothering me too. I think it has something to do with the points
being on a sphere. There should be workarounds, but as I said, I abandoned it
for now. I think someone will come up with a brilliant solution one of these
days.

Regards,

Remco
http://www.xs4all.nl/~remcodek/pov.html