POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : How to distribute points equally on sqhere surface? : Re: How to distribute points equally on sqhere surface? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:30:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to distribute points equally on sqhere surface?
From: Markus Becker
Date: 19 Jul 1999 06:12:53
Message: <3792FB50.D0CE035E@zess.uni-siegen.de>
Remco de Korte wrote:

> Is that so? I'm willing to believe it, but I wonder if there's some way to prove
> that or make it acceptable for a mathematician (which I'm most definitely not).

Yes, this _is_ so. It is mathematically proven. A simplified (and short)
explanation is that you can only tile certain surfaces with certain
patches.
The certain surface bein the spere and the patches being triangles,
pentagons
ans so on for the sphere surface.
If you have access to Scientific American, you should be able to find
articles about it.

For some reading, look here:
http://www.rose-hulman.edu/~brought/Epubs/REU/Wabash.html

Markus
--

 Ich nicht eine Sekunde!!!" H. Heinol in Val Thorens