POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Adding object to Moray Server Time
28 Jul 2024 08:33:58 EDT (-0400)
  Adding object to Moray (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Alex McMurray
Subject: Adding object to Moray
Date: 28 Jan 2001 16:25:45
Message: <3A73B88B.EE94EF32@melbpc.org.au>
Hi All,

    I want to add/import an object to a Moray scene file as a link
rather than a new object, the reason being that I want to create several
objects, link them into a new scene, move them, copy them, duplicate
them etc.
    If I have to tweak any of the objects, I only have to work on the
original file and it will be automatically updated in the main Moray
scene file.
    I have read and re-read the manual, but I cannot find anywhere that
tells me if it can be done, can it be done? and is it in the manual??
    Thanks in advance, Alex.

--
  ,-._|\  Alex McMurray
 /  Oz  \ ale### [at] melbpcorgau               Melbourne PC User Group.

>     I want to add/import an object to a Moray scene file as a link
> rather than a new object, the reason being that I want to create several
> objects, link them into a new scene, move them, copy them, duplicate
> them etc.
>     If I have to tweak any of the objects, I only have to work on the
> original file and it will be automatically updated in the main Moray
> scene file.
>     I have read and re-read the manual, but I cannot find anywhere that
> tells me if it can be done, can it be done? and is it in the manual??
>     Thanks in advance, Alex.

No, it's not in the manual, 'cause it can't be done like this (up to
now, Lutz?)
What you could do, is putting the object in you scene once, thene create
as many references as you wish (but within that scene) and if you
manipulate the main object within the scene all the references in the
scene will be changed as well. But externel linking to another scene is
not possible.

If anyone knows better, feel free to correct me

Arne

Post a reply to this message

> >     I want to add/import an object to a Moray scene file as a link
> > rather than a new object, the reason being that I want to create several
> > objects, link them into a new scene, move them, copy them, duplicate
> > them etc.
> >     If I have to tweak any of the objects, I only have to work on the
> > original file and it will be automatically updated in the main Moray
> > scene file.
> >     I have read and re-read the manual, but I cannot find anywhere that
> > tells me if it can be done, can it be done? and is it in the manual??
> >     Thanks in advance, Alex.
>
> No, it's not in the manual, 'cause it can't be done like this (up to
> now, Lutz?)
> What you could do, is putting the object in you scene once, thene create
> as many references as you wish (but within that scene) and if you
> manipulate the main object within the scene all the references in the
> scene will be changed as well. But externel linking to another scene is
> not possible.
>
> If anyone knows better, feel free to correct me
>
> Arne

Hmm, but there might be a way to do it almost the way you like it.
Create an object in a special file, export it as a udo, implement it as
udo in the target file. Then if you change your object in the source
file & export it every time you changned it, it should work the way i
understood your attempt. ???

Anybody else a better idea?

Arne

Post a reply to this message

> No, it's not in the manual, 'cause it can't be done like this (up to
> now, Lutz?)
> What you could do, is putting the object in you scene once, thene create
> as many references as you wish (but within that scene) and if you
> manipulate the main object within the scene all the references in the
> scene will be changed as well. But externel linking to another scene is
> not possible.
>
> If anyone knows better, feel free to correct me
>
> Arne

Thanks Arne,

    I was affraid that was the answer, I currently do what you suggested, but
I was hoping that maybe there was an easier way, although I have not tried it,
my son can do it in POV-ray.

Hey Lutz, any chance of it happening in future revisions?