POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Adding object to Moray : Re: Adding object to Moray Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:26:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Adding object to Moray
From: Arne Kleinophorst
Date: 29 Jan 2001 17:02:54
Message: <3A75E91A.3EF166A0@debitel.net>
Arne Kleinophorst schrieb:

> Alex McMurray schrieb:
> >
> > Hi All,
> >
> >     I want to add/import an object to a Moray scene file as a link
> > rather than a new object, the reason being that I want to create several
> > objects, link them into a new scene, move them, copy them, duplicate
> > them etc.
> >     If I have to tweak any of the objects, I only have to work on the
> > original file and it will be automatically updated in the main Moray
> > scene file.
> >     I have read and re-read the manual, but I cannot find anywhere that
> > tells me if it can be done, can it be done? and is it in the manual??
> >     Thanks in advance, Alex.
>
> No, it's not in the manual, 'cause it can't be done like this (up to
> now, Lutz?)
> What you could do, is putting the object in you scene once, thene create
> as many references as you wish (but within that scene) and if you
> manipulate the main object within the scene all the references in the
> scene will be changed as well. But externel linking to another scene is
> not possible.
>
> If anyone knows better, feel free to correct me
>
> Arne

Hmm, but there might be a way to do it almost the way you like it.
Create an object in a special file, export it as a udo, implement it as
udo in the target file. Then if you change your object in the source
file & export it every time you changned it, it should work the way i
understood your attempt. ???

Anybody else a better idea?

Arne