POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Plugins, plugins, plugins... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:19:20 EDT (-0400)
  Plugins, plugins, plugins... (Message 1 to 10 of 26)
From: Nieminen Mika
Subject: Plugins, plugins, plugins...
Date: 26 Jul 1999 02:20:06
Message: <379bfe16@news.povray.org>
PLugins, plugins, plugins, plugins... Everyone requests plugins. Everyone
makes plugins. Hundreds of plugins, thousands, millions... And moray grows
and grows and grows...

  Instead of making a plugin for each simple task (like the random placement
of objects), wouldn't it be a better idea to allow the user to write little
povray scripts to do the task instead?
  For example for the random placement of an object you would only open
an editor window for the specified object or whatever and just type the
povray code for its placement.
  If you type something that creates objects you could somehow tell to moray
how to create a wireframe for that object (in povray's comments or in a
completely separated window with its own scripting language or something).

  So instead of making hundreds and thousands of little programs for each
task (and still being unable to perform every task), you could just have a
few powerful tools to perform any task (ie. a unix-like system).

>   PLugins, plugins, plugins, plugins... Everyone requests plugins. Everyone
> makes plugins. Hundreds of plugins, thousands, millions... And moray grows
> and grows and grows...
>
>   Instead of making a plugin for each simple task (like the random placement
> of objects), wouldn't it be a better idea to allow the user to write little
> povray scripts to do the task instead?

And limit Moray to POV-Ray?  I like the fact that Moray has been opened
up to support generic export capabilities.  If you do nothing but
POV-Ray scripts, you can't ever take advantage of anything but POV-Ray.

Xander

Post a reply to this message

Alexander Enzmann <xan### [at] mitreorg> wrote:
: And limit Moray to POV-Ray?  I like the fact that Moray has been opened
: up to support generic export capabilities.  If you do nothing but
: POV-Ray scripts, you can't ever take advantage of anything but POV-Ray.

  Did I say that the scripting should be the only way to create objects?

> >   PLugins, plugins, plugins, plugins... Everyone requests plugins. Everyone
> > makes plugins. Hundreds of plugins, thousands, millions... And moray grows
> > and grows and grows...
> >
> >   Instead of making a plugin for each simple task (like the random placement
> > of objects), wouldn't it be a better idea to allow the user to write little
> > povray scripts to do the task instead?
>
> And limit Moray to POV-Ray?  I like the fact that Moray has been opened
> up to support generic export capabilities.  If you do nothing but
> POV-Ray scripts, you can't ever take advantage of anything but POV-Ray.
>
> Xander

Also, couldn't you just do that in POV-Ray anyway? I believe the idea behind moray
is so that you can model it quickly, without having to worry about syntax, and
typing, etc. While it might be nice to tweak POV-files, I wouldn't want to have to
type in 10 lines of code every time I wanted to replicate an item.

Also, I agree with Xander- I like the fact that Moray will export to things other
than POV-Ray(RIB!!!!!YAY!!!!Please, someone!) Restricting this will limit morays
growth.

--
You Know You've Been Raytracing Too Long When:
 You tell stories to your kids that #include stuff like "Once there was a polygon

Post a reply to this message