POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Plugins, plugins, plugins... : Re: Plugins, plugins, plugins... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:35:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Plugins, plugins, plugins...
From: Alex Magidow
Date: 26 Jul 1999 10:18:12
Message: <379C6E1F.6B170973@mninter.net>
Alexander Enzmann wrote:

> Nieminen Mika wrote:
> >
> >   PLugins, plugins, plugins, plugins... Everyone requests plugins. Everyone
> > makes plugins. Hundreds of plugins, thousands, millions... And moray grows
> > and grows and grows...
> >
> >   Instead of making a plugin for each simple task (like the random placement
> > of objects), wouldn't it be a better idea to allow the user to write little
> > povray scripts to do the task instead?
>
> And limit Moray to POV-Ray?  I like the fact that Moray has been opened
> up to support generic export capabilities.  If you do nothing but
> POV-Ray scripts, you can't ever take advantage of anything but POV-Ray.
>
> Xander

Also, couldn't you just do that in POV-Ray anyway? I believe the idea behind moray
is so that you can model it quickly, without having to worry about syntax, and
typing, etc. While it might be nice to tweak POV-files, I wouldn't want to have to
type in 10 lines of code every time I wanted to replicate an item.

Also, I agree with Xander- I like the fact that Moray will export to things other
than POV-Ray(RIB!!!!!YAY!!!!Please, someone!) Restricting this will limit morays
growth.

--
You Know You've Been Raytracing Too Long When:
 You tell stories to your kids that #include stuff like "Once there was a polygon