POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : organic & character modeling Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:15:34 EDT (-0400)
  organic & character modeling (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Thomas Lake
Subject: organic & character modeling
Date: 30 Mar 1999 03:07:09
Message: <37008737.75C356E9@home.com>
I have always been interesting in modeling organic shapes, animals,
characters & people. And while I have had a little, VERY little, success
with sPatch and other spline and NURBS based modelers like Rhino I can
never create anything satisfactory. Well actually everything I create
ends up looking like a bloby mess. Anyway I was wondering if anyone
could help me, and many others, by posting any good tutorials on
modeling these things. I have searched and searched but never found any
good tutorials and books & lessons are way too expensive. Thanks.

Post a reply to this message

I'd suggest some other software solutions, but this appears to be a wetwear
problem.

First of all- try doing inorganic things in the same modeler. Then try
working on cartoony, not necessarily realistic organic things. Then, when
you are good at those, try realistic looking people.

The best thing to do is get good with the software first. Once you know all
the tricks, good modeling is just a function of time and patience.

Happy tracing and modeling!

--
Only I can prevent narcissism!

Post a reply to this message

Ok thanks. I think I'll try to get used to Rhino.

Alex Magidow wrote:

> I'd suggest some other software solutions, but this appears to be a wetwear
> problem.
>
> First of all- try doing inorganic things in the same modeler. Then try
> working on cartoony, not necessarily realistic organic things. Then, when
> you are good at those, try realistic looking people.
>
> The best thing to do is get good with the software first. Once you know all
> the tricks, good modeling is just a function of time and patience.
>
> Happy tracing and modeling!
>
> Thomas Lake wrote:
>
> > I have always been interesting in modeling organic shapes, animals,
> > characters & people. And while I have had a little, VERY little, success
> > with sPatch and other spline and NURBS based modelers like Rhino I can
> > never create anything satisfactory. Well actually everything I create
> > ends up looking like a bloby mess. Anyway I was wondering if anyone
> > could help me, and many others, by posting any good tutorials on
> > modeling these things. I have searched and searched but never found any
> > good tutorials and books & lessons are way too expensive. Thanks.
>
> --
> Only I can prevent narcissism!

Post a reply to this message

Hey, I think that my advice is worth $700 bucks or so...hey, if you give me that
kind of money, I'll write you a tutorial! Wait! I'm a student. Just give me $200!
You'll have a great tutorial in a week or two.

No, all my advice is free, though donations are accepted(and appreciated!)