POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : POV errors out of Moray Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:19:17 EDT (-0400)
  POV errors out of Moray (Message 1 to 10 of 13)
From: Pascal Golay
Subject: POV errors out of Moray
Date: 12 Mar 2000 18:22:09
Message: <1103_952903337@pgid>
Hello all- I've been messing with Moray for a few days trying to see what the
possibilities are...pretty good I'd say so far. There are a couple of things I
caoulduse some advice on
however:
One is, in a scene I've just been working on, I imported some polygon meshes in obj
and 3ds formats via 3dwin, I ssiagned some materials and fired off the render button
with no
results. POV was sitting there with an error message, rather cryptic to me, can any
one enlighten me on what may be wrong?

Error message:

"#declare Legs_ref = object{
Legs <------ERROR

TestFurniture.pov:94: erroe: oblect expected but undeclared identifier 'Legs' found
instead."

Here's the part of the POV file I suppose it refers to, a few lines above and below:

/ ********  OBJECTS  *******
//

#include "G:\Program Files\Moray\POVScn\church_and_cargo.inc"

#declare Legs_Ref = object {
  Legs
  material {
    Chrome
  }
}
#declare LowShelfB_Ref = object {
  LowShelfB
  material {
    Cheap_GlassPG

The second thing I'd like to get straight is how Moray/POV uses image mapping-  So far
it looks as though POV cuts off anything on an object that is not covered by the image

map- if I scale it for example on the face of an imported cube, only the part of the
cube under the scaled image shows, even with another layer of plain solid color below
the
image map. How would one, for example, pace a rectangular label on the middle of a
face of a box? Could noe move it around to see how it looks in different places? Sorry
if i'm
being dense, thanks for any info...

-PG

Post a reply to this message

Hmmm I see I'm having exactly the same problem as Michael Mccue outlined in the '3ds
thru Moray to pov' thread. Was that ever solved? In my case too, the geometry causing
the problems is downloaded polygn stuff I was using to test. objects built by me in
Rhino and exported as obj and then 3dWin-ed into Moray 3.2 seem to work fine so far.

-PG

On Sun, 12 Mar 2000 23:22:17 GMT, cgo### [at] idtnet (Pascal Golay) wrote:
> Hello all- I've been messing with Moray for a few days trying to see what the
possibilities are...pretty good I'd say so far. There are a couple of things I
caoulduse some advice
on
> however:
> One is, in a scene I've just been working on, I imported some polygon meshes in obj
and 3ds formats via 3dwin, I ssiagned some materials and fired off the render button
with
no
> results. POV was sitting there with an error message, rather cryptic to me, can any
one enlighten me on what may be wrong?

> Error message:
>
> "#declare Legs_ref = object{
> Legs <------ERROR
>
> TestFurniture.pov:94: erroe: oblect expected but undeclared identifier 'Legs' found
instead."

> Here's the part of the POV file I suppose it refers to, a few lines above and below:
>
> / ********  OBJECTS  *******
> //
>
> #include "G:\Program Files\Moray\POVScn\church_and_cargo.inc"
>
> #declare Legs_Ref = object {
>   Legs
>   material {
>     Chrome
>   }
> }
> #declare LowShelfB_Ref = object {
>   LowShelfB
>   material {
>     Cheap_GlassPG

Post a reply to this message

From: Lutz Kretzschmar
Date: 12 Mar 2000 22:11:41
Message: <38cc5ce1.2469157@news.stmuc.com>
Hi Pascal Golay, you recently wrote in moray.win:

> Objects built by me in Rhino and exported as obj
> and then 3dWin-ed into Moray 3.2 seem to work fine so far.
Rhino can export directly to Moray via the UDO/INC export option.

- Lutz
  email : lut### [at] stmuccom
  Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray

Post a reply to this message

From: Pascal Golay
Date: 12 Mar 2000 22:49:37
Message: <1103_952919384@pgid>
On Mon, 13 Mar 2000 03:14:40 GMT, lut### [at] stmuccom (Lutz Kretzschmar) wrote:
> Hi Pascal Golay, you recently wrote in moray.win:
>
> > Objects built by me in Rhino and exported as obj
> > and then 3dWin-ed into Moray 3.2 seem to work fine so far.
> Rhino can export directly to Moray via the UDO/INC export option.

Yes indeedy, but since I mostly render with NuGraf (at least until I get the hang of
this Moray/POV  approach) I send the geometry out as obj and this way I can use either

renderer and not have piles of extra exported files around. I do not anticipate making
much use of the modelling in Moray, but as a scene organizing tool and access to  POV
for
one who has less time than required to go direct, it's great. By the way, if MegaPOV
features are on the way to regular POV as I've heard rumored, will Moray interact with
all the
new stuff fairly soon? I am not getting MegaPOV to work at all so far, ( despite the
simple instructons... There are some fundamentals I'm missing about the POV world) but
it
looks like the ticket for product rendering. If anyone wants to hold my hand to get it
wotking I'd be forever grateful...

Thanks for your response,

-PG

Post a reply to this message

From: Charles Fusner
Date: 13 Mar 2000 20:52:39
Message: <38CD9BCE.D3953FB1@enter.net>
Pascal Golay wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Mar 2000 03:14:40 GMT, lut### [at] stmuccom (Lutz Kretzschmar) wrote:
> > Hi Pascal Golay, you recently wrote in moray.win:
> >
> > > Objects built by me in Rhino and exported as obj
> > > and then 3dWin-ed into Moray 3.2 seem to work fine so far.
> > Rhino can export directly to Moray via the UDO/INC export option.
> >
> Yes indeedy, but since I mostly render with NuGraf (at least until I get the hang of
this Moray/POV  approach) I send the geometry out as obj and this way I can use either

Regardless of what you render in, POV-Ray still doesn't import OBJ files
directly so whether you export them directly from Rhino in UDO/INC or
export them as OBJ and use 3DWin to convert them to UDO/INC you'll have
the same number of files laying around. Nothing saved there. And
meanwhile, I have had ocassions where 3DWin kind of mangles names
of components during the conversion process: I looked in the UDO
and corresponding INC files and found it had numerous naming errors
that had to be hand corrected. Looked like the conversion process
wasn't properly clearing the string that held the name before
readinging in the next section.  You should at least try exporting
directly from Rhino (same model) and see if it solves the problem,
because it does seem to be an intermittant problem with 3DWin sometimes.
I had the most trouble with 3DS files, actually, and OBJ files worked
fine for me but... who knows? That could be the problem.

Another, simpler thing to check is to make sure your INC file is in
the same directory with your scene source. I don't believe the
references in the UDO include a pathname, so if the INC file isn't
where POV knows to look for it, the problem could also be that it
never actually defined the object "Legs" before the UDO export
attempted to reference it.

>The second thing I'd like to get straight is how Moray/POV uses image mapping-  So
far it
>looks as though POV cuts off anything on an object that is not covered by the image
>map- if I scale it for example on the face of an imported cube, only the part of the
cube
>under the scaled image shows, even with another layer of plain solid color below the
>image map. How would one, for example, pace a rectangular label on the middle of a
face of a
>box? Could noe move it around to see how it looks in different places? Sorry if i'm
>being dense, thanks for any info...

Yes, if you have "Once" checked off (as you would if you wanted it to
look like a label) you'll find that everything that isn't under
the label has no texture, therefore, of course you don't see it.
To make a layered texture with the image map on top, make sure your
texture listing (on the left hand side of the material editor)
looks something like this in structure...

Material

  Layered Texture

    Standard Texture
    |  |
    |  pigment
    |    |
    |    solid color (and make sure the solid color you pick doesn't
    |                 match your background color, of course)

    Standard Texture

       pigment

         image_map

Post a reply to this message

From: Lutz Kretzschmar
Date: 14 Mar 2000 15:06:10
Message: <38ce9c29.509385@news.stmuc.com>
Hi Pascal Golay, you recently wrote in moray.win:

> TestFurniture.pov:94: erroe: oblect expected but undeclared identifier 'Legs' found
instead."

> #include "G:\Program Files\Moray\POVScn\church_and_cargo.inc"

Does that include file have a declaration for Legs?

- Lutz
  email : lut### [at] stmuccom
  Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray

Post a reply to this message

From: Pascal Golay
Date: 14 Mar 2000 21:32:51
Message: <38cef653@news.povray.org>
HI Charles- thanks for the help. As far as saving files goes, I do see that
once I decide to run an obj file in Moray I haven't saved antything clutter
wise. Once I get this all under control I may well take to exporting UDO
from Rhino. In the meantime, OBJ gives me the option since NuGraf does not
read UDO.

    I discovered that my image mapping confusion stemmed from a
misunderstanding on my part abot how Moray gives me a preview in the
material editor. It appeared that the logical approach of layering a 'once'
image over another texture was not working because Moray quite reasonably
previews only the portion of a material that is selected, not the whole
thing every time, and I thought I was getting a preview of the complete
material when I had the Image selected in the editor. Duh.  All's well now
on that front.

-Pascal

Post a reply to this message

From: Pascal Golay
Date: 14 Mar 2000 21:41:22
Message: <38cef852@news.povray.org>
Lutz Kretzschmar wrote in message <38c### [at] newsstmuccom>...
>Hi Pascal Golay, you recently wrote in moray.win:
>
>> TestFurniture.pov:94: erroe: oblect expected but undeclared identifier
'Legs' found instead."

>> #include "G:\Program Files\Moray\POVScn\church_and_cargo.inc"
>
>Does that include file have a declaration for Legs?

Hi Lutz- apparently so:

#declare Legs = mesh
{
 triangle { < 12.575999,27.274199,-6.582750 >, <
12.575999,27.038399,-6.582750 >, < 12.575999,27.038399,5.993250 >}
 triangle { < 12.57

etc. etc.

I should add here though that I've hosed out and reinstalled both Moray and
POV and these test files may not make much sense any more as I did not
bother to make sure i kept all the components. I mention that so you all
will not waste time trying to investigate this particular glitch when my
info about the file and you suggestions may not be verifyiable by re
rendering. I'll set up the scenes again and if I get similar results I'll be
able to pin it down better.

In the meantime, if anyone can tel me wht moray suddenly is no longer
painting the 3d view with the current render... I belive all the relevant
checkboxes are activated, and GUI Extensions on in POV- actually megaPOV...
could that be it??

Thanks everyone.

-Pascal

Post a reply to this message

From: Lutz Kretzschmar
Date: 15 Mar 2000 16:58:07
Message: <38d007e4.1939716@news.stmuc.com>
Hi Pascal Golay, you recently wrote in moray.win:

> checkboxes are activated, and GUI Extensions on in POV- actually megaPOV...
> could that be it??
Yes, MegaPOV has a bug that prevents it from sending the render data
to GUI extensions.
- Lutz
  email : lut### [at] stmuccom
  Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray