POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : Old Technology...Repair Hanger Server Time
17 May 2024 06:51:55 EDT (-0400)
  Old Technology...Repair Hanger (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Renderdog
Subject: Old Technology...Repair Hanger
Date: 30 Mar 2003 10:40:04
Message: <web.3e870ed521db3fda2f7cbfd80@news.povray.org>
A spectacular hanger! The wide field of view allows us to see more of it,
and some of the best lighting and modeling is along the edges. The textures
of the steel beams and the brick walls are perfect. The metal roller doors
look great, though I'd like to see more of the lamps (the one on the left
foreground looks great, but the others in the distance are hidden).

I feel a little guilty for complaining about the tilted viewpoint, since I
used the same viewpoint for Innocent Shadow. But, personally, I would've
preferred a straight view.

Mainly I had a problem with the size of the chain links; they seem too big.
The plane itself is well modelled and the dirty textures are great, but I
think it would look more realistic with more color variation, more "parts,"
especially for the propeller and its housing, and to connect the cylinders
to the body and wing.

The well-lit ceiling on the left, with the rivets and streaks, is great, but
in the distance the ceiling looks a little blotchy (but real ceilings could
look just like that). The floor is a little blurry in the foreground. Maybe
some sharp scratches or dirt, and more seams like those on the right, to
break up the smoothness?

This hanger would be a great environment for a lot of the Old Technology
entry objects. An old phone on the wall, a car parked in the distance, the
steam engine in the corner!

I'm amazed at how fast Carrara rendered this scene, very impressive! I
really haven't heard much about this software, but your image has convinced
me to check it out.

Post a reply to this message

Renderdog <slo### [at] hiwaaynet> wrote in message

> spectacular hanger! The wide field of view allows us to see more of it,
>and some of the best lighting and modeling is along the edges.
Yes, this a great image!

The textures
>of the steel beams and the brick walls are perfect.
Excellent texturing!

The metal roller doors
>look great, though I'd like to see more of the lamps (the one on the left
>foreground looks great, but the others in the distance are hidden).

> Mainly I had a problem with the size of the chain links; they seem too
big.

That had bothered me too, I thought it was a problem with scale, but finally
decided it was more about camera angle & field of view.  Still not sure
about scale though, when I compare the apparent lamp size with the chain
links.

Things like scale and camera settings though are a matter of artist
perception, so I tend to not think of them as interpretations rather than
defects.

RG

Post a reply to this message