POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : Old Technology...Repair Hanger : Re: Old Technology...Repair Hanger Server Time
1 Jun 2024 06:53:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Old Technology...Repair Hanger
From: Slashdolt
Date: 31 Mar 2003 11:14:47
Message: <3e886977$1@news.povray.org>
Overall, this was the highest rated image in my list.  The textures are
superb.  The brick wall looks great.  The airplanes look great.  It has
somewhat of a painted look to the image overall, but somehow that just seems
to add to the mood of the scene.  I feel as if I could almost touch the
objects and have to wipe off the dust/rust/etc. from my fingers.

I didn't notice the large chains, assuming that perhaps chains really are
that big.  The only thing that bothered me was the wide angle "lens".  I had
used a wide angle for my Radio Graves entry, but then switched to a smaller
angle of around 55 degrees, simply because things end up getting so skewed
on the edges.  Maybe that's not necessarily a bad thing, but it makes the
image look strange.

The camera-tilt works well, imo.  Most of the chains are falling straight
down in the image, which puts the focus more on the plane.  A straight view
may have also made the hangar look more "bowed" on the sides, due to the
wide angle shot.

Great job!

--
Slash
"Renderdog" <slo### [at] hiwaaynet> wrote in message
> A spectacular hanger! The wide field of view allows us to see more of it,
> and some of the best lighting and modeling is along the edges. The
textures
> of the steel beams and the brick walls are perfect. The metal roller doors
> look great, though I'd like to see more of the lamps (the one on the left
> foreground looks great, but the others in the distance are hidden).
>
> I feel a little guilty for complaining about the tilted viewpoint, since I
> used the same viewpoint for Innocent Shadow. But, personally, I would've
> preferred a straight view.
>
> Mainly I had a problem with the size of the chain links; they seem too
big.
> The plane itself is well modelled and the dirty textures are great, but I
> think it would look more realistic with more color variation, more
"parts,"
> especially for the propeller and its housing, and to connect the cylinders
> to the body and wing.
>
> The well-lit ceiling on the left, with the rivets and streaks, is great,
but
> in the distance the ceiling looks a little blotchy (but real ceilings
could
> look just like that). The floor is a little blurry in the foreground.
Maybe