POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.general : TC_RTC July/August 2012 Challenge: Railway Server Time
16 Apr 2024 08:06:33 EDT (-0400)
  TC_RTC July/August 2012 Challenge: Railway (Message 11 to 20 of 51)  
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: TawnyOwl
Subject: Re: TC_RTC July/August 2012 Challenge: Railway
Date: 18 Jul 2012 15:30:01
Message: <web.50070dc7eb9e61babf32136f0@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
>
> Really? I do not remember any other raytracer used than POV-Ray... But
> then, I may not have really paid attention to that as it was POV-Ray in
> most cases... or am I wrong?

Hi Thomas,

nearly every ray-tracer thinkable was used in the irtc. I have only data for the
first period up to 2006. Pov was used most, but for example some 10 percent of
the entries were made with 3DS closely followed by Bryce. Next seems to be
Blender.

Don't ask why I have such statistics...

Best regards,
Michael


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: TC_RTC July/August 2012 Challenge: Railway
Date: 19 Jul 2012 03:01:28
Message: <5007b0c8$1@news.povray.org>
On 18-7-2012 21:25, TawnyOwl wrote:
>
> nearly every ray-tracer thinkable was used in the irtc. I have only data for the
> first period up to 2006. Pov was used most, but for example some 10 percent of
> the entries were made with 3DS closely followed by Bryce. Next seems to be
> Blender.
My memory is selective ;-)

I remember one image (Decay, 2003) because it was made by a colleague 
from work back then, which was modelled in Blender and rendered in 
POV-Ray... I don't know why it was not rendered also in Blender though.

>
> Don't ask why I have such statistics...

I won't ;-)

Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Subject: Re: TC_RTC July/August 2012 Challenge: Railway
Date: 19 Jul 2012 10:22:41
Message: <50081831$1@news.povray.org>
Am 19.07.2012 09:01, schrieb Thomas de Groot:

> I remember one image (Decay, 2003) because it was made by a colleague
> from work back then, which was modelled in Blender and rendered in
> POV-Ray... I don't know why it was not rendered also in Blender though.

Maybe because back then Blender's built-in rendering engine (if it even 
had any then) sucked?


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: TC_RTC July/August 2012 Challenge: Railway
Date: 20 Jul 2012 03:31:32
Message: <50090954$1@news.povray.org>
On 19-7-2012 16:22, clipka wrote:
> Maybe because back then Blender's built-in rendering engine (if it even
> had any then) sucked?

Yes, I have been wondering at that. When was Blender's render engine 
launched? I have the impression that back in 2003 there was none...

Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Subject: Re: TC_RTC July/August 2012 Challenge: Railway
Date: 20 Jul 2012 12:20:31
Message: <5009854f$1@news.povray.org>
Em 20/07/2012 04:31, Thomas de Groot escreveu:
> On 19-7-2012 16:22, clipka wrote:
>> Maybe because back then Blender's built-in rendering engine (if it even
>> had any then) sucked?
>
> Yes, I have been wondering at that. When was Blender's render engine
> launched? I have the impression that back in 2003 there was none...

I think Blender always came with its own render engine -- the so-called 
Blender Internal -- but it was seemingly just a scanline back then:

http://www.blender.org/features-gallery/gallery/archive/2003/

The old Blender Internal renderer got a raytracer integrated but is too 
messy, too late.  They intend to make the new Cycles unbiased path 
tracer the default engine eventually.  It's built into the latest 
releases and already provides some awesome results at minimal cost for 
set up and I'll be using it.  Just hope my modelling skills can match 
the lighting... :)


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: TC_RTC July/August 2012 Challenge: Railway
Date: 26 Jul 2012 03:37:46
Message: <5010f3ca$1@news.povray.org>
On 20-7-2012 18:20, nemesis wrote:
> I think Blender always came with its own render engine -- the so-called
> Blender Internal -- but it was seemingly just a scanline back then:
>
> http://www.blender.org/features-gallery/gallery/archive/2003/
>
> The old Blender Internal renderer got a raytracer integrated but is too
> messy, too late.  They intend to make the new Cycles unbiased path
> tracer the default engine eventually.  It's built into the latest
> releases and already provides some awesome results at minimal cost for
> set up and I'll be using it.  Just hope my modelling skills can match
> the lighting... :)
I am slowly learning Blender, so I am curious.

Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: TC_RTC July/August 2012 Challenge: Railway: Three weeks to go!
Date: 27 Jul 2012 04:39:24
Message: <501253bc$1@news.povray.org>
On 17-6-2012 9:00, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> The new Challenge for July/August 2012 is: Railway.
>
>
> Stephen & Thomas, Administrators
> http://www.tc-rtc.co.uk/index/index.html

Three weeks to go; three images uploaded so far; we need more work!

Where is all that inspiration gone?

Come on people, winter sleep is over ;-)

Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Subject: Re: TC_RTC July/August 2012 Challenge: Railway: Three weeks to go!
Date: 27 Jul 2012 14:15:01
Message: <web.5012d9fc3e782435ebb90cbd0@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
> On 17-6-2012 9:00, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> > The new Challenge for July/August 2012 is: Railway.
> >
> >
> > Stephen & Thomas, Administrators
> > http://www.tc-rtc.co.uk/index/index.html
>
> Three weeks to go; three images uploaded so far; we need more work!
>
> Where is all that inspiration gone?
>
> Come on people, winter sleep is over ;-)
>
> Thomas

what?!!

doesn't the competition end 31 august?!


Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Subject: Re: TC_RTC July/August 2012 Challenge: Railway: Three weeks to go!
Date: 28 Jul 2012 03:11:27
Message: <5013909f@news.povray.org>
On 27/07/2012 7:12 PM, nemesis wrote:

>>
>> Three weeks to go; three images uploaded so far; we need more work!
>>

>
> what?!!
>
> doesn't the competition end 31 august?!
>

No. The 31st of August is when the voting ends. We allow two weeks for 
that so the deadline for entries is midnight of 17/8/12 BST.
To be honest I cannot find where to change that particular text.

-- 
Regards
     Stephen


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: TC_RTC July/August 2012 Challenge: Railway: Three weeks to go!
Date: 28 Jul 2012 03:22:22
Message: <5013932e$1@news.povray.org>
On 28-7-2012 9:11, Stephen wrote:
> On 27/07/2012 7:12 PM, nemesis wrote:
>
>>>
>>> Three weeks to go; three images uploaded so far; we need more work!
>>>
>
>>
>> what?!!
>>
>> doesn't the competition end 31 august?!
>>
>
> No. The 31st of August is when the voting ends. We allow two weeks for
> that so the deadline for entries is midnight of 17/8/12 BST.
> To be honest I cannot find where to change that particular text.
>

...and as you are told the next Challenge topic on that same date, you 
still have two complete months to prepare an entry :-)

To Stephen: as administrators, we are only allowed to change the 
floating top bar. Only Colin seems to have access to that part of the site.

Thomas


Post a reply to this message

<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>

Copyright 2003-2023 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.