POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Bruteforcerendering with povray Server Time
8 May 2024 23:39:06 EDT (-0400)
  Bruteforcerendering with povray (Message 11 to 20 of 29)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 9 Messages >>>
From: Warp
Subject: Re: Bruteforcerendering with povray
Date: 8 Jan 2008 13:26:09
Message: <4783c041@news.povray.org>
nemesis <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> yes, that's some food for thought.  Seeing as hardware nowadays is so fast that
> raytracing is starting to get used in game engines for real-time applications
> and NVidia buying Mental Images mainly for its highly-touted real-time shading
> tech Mental Mill, perhaps it is time for stills to move on to more precise and
> automatic lighting models...

  I would not want to wait 11 hours for a single sphere to render.

  Being slow for the sake of being slow is not the answer.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 8 Jan 2008 13:51:08
Message: <4783c61c$1@news.povray.org>
Warp escribió:
>   Trying to support both methods at the same time is a bit problematic
> too. It's hard to mix them. Basically you would need two separate
> rendering engines and a way to choose which one is used where. The
> full BRDF definitions are basically useless in method 1.
>
>   If you want POV-Ray to support raytracing with BRDFs, that would
> mean basically that two different raytracers would need to be packaged
> into one executable, and you simply choose which one is used. The advantage
> in this can be dubious. It may be much better to simply have two different
> programs.

The main advantage is that the raytracing algorithms (as in, ray-object
intersections), SDL parsing, camera projections, and maybe even pigments
would be common to both renderers. finish{}es would probably need
totally different properties for each renderer, but I think that's it.

Anything that alters ("fakes") the normals may be problematic (smooth
heightfields, bezier patches, meshes with smooth triangles, or normal{}
on any object), as I have seen lighting models not using the normal
vector at all. But almost everything else would just work.

Post a reply to this message

>   I would not want to wait 11 hours for a single sphere to render.

of course you know that is not true, it was intentional exaggeration.  Even
luxrender, the open-source unbiased renderer, at early stages, is capable of
rendering moderately complex scenes in about a few hours with nowadays
hardware.  A bit noisy output, but bearable...

Post a reply to this message